Section 228.061, Florida Statutes 2001
228.061 Other public schools; preschool programs, prekindergarten early intervention programs, school-age child care programs, special schools and courses.--The public schools of Florida may, in addition to the schools prescribed in s. 228.051, include preschool programs, prekindergarten early intervention programs, school-age child care programs, special schools, and courses and classes as authorized below:
(1) SCHOOL-AGE CHILD CARE PROGRAMS.--School-age child care programs shall consist of educational and recreational programs provided before and after the regular school day and during school holidays to children eligible to attend public schools as provided by s. 232.01. Such programs shall be supported and maintained from state or district funds, tuition charges, and such funds as may be available from federal or other lawful sources.
(2) OTHER SCHOOLS, COURSES, AND CLASSES.--
(a) There may be established, at the discretion of the school board, other schools, courses, and classes pursuant to law or by regulations of the state board for:
1. Giving instruction in applied arts and sciences;
2. Rehabilitating atypical, dependent, and delinquent children;
3. Promoting the education of adults;
4. Furnishing part-time, evening, and vocational schools and classes;
5. Providing technical or vocational training for persons regardless of age; and
6. Offering other types of instruction of a similar nature.
(b) Such schools, courses, and classes shall be supported by state, district, and federal funds or by any combinations of these funds supplemented by funds from such other lawful sources as may be available, including tuition or matriculation fees as may be authorized by regulations of the state board.
History.--s. 214, ch. 19355, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 892(33); s. 7, ch. 29764, 1955; s. 1, ch. 57-252; s. 2, ch. 68-12; s. 3, ch. 68-24; s. 4, ch. 68-5; s. 1, ch. 69-262; s. 1, ch. 69-300; s. 1, ch. 72-221; s. 1, ch. 77-174; s. 12, ch. 86-225; s. 1, ch. 86-258; s. 4, ch. 86-261; s. 1, ch. 89-101; s. 62, ch. 91-105; s. 1, ch. 91-266; s. 46, ch. 97-190; s. 25, ch. 2001-170.
Note.--Former s. 228.14.