Section 229.0072, Florida Statutes 2001
229.0072 Reorganization implementation process.--In order to best achieve the legislative purpose of the Florida Education Governance Reorganization Implementation Act:
(1) The Governor shall appoint the members of the boards of trustees of the state universities in accordance with s. 229.008.
(2) Effective July 1, 2001, the Governor shall appoint a seven-member Florida Board of Education and a Secretary of the Florida Board of Education. The Florida Board of Education shall be housed within, and operate under the direction of, the State Board of Education. The Secretary of the Florida Board of Education shall possess proven organizational leadership and knowledge of broad-based education policy. The secretary shall be confirmed by the Senate during the 2002 regular legislative session, but may perform all duties in the interim. The secretary shall serve as secretary to the board and as the board's primary liaison with all entities involved in the reorganization of education. The secretary shall be responsible directly to the Florida Board of Education and shall serve as staff to the board on all action items relating to the reorganization. During the reorganization implementation period, the secretary shall:
(a) Be responsible for proposing actions regarding all education governance reorganization implementation issues.
(b) Be responsible for integration of the Department of Education as it is reorganized into an agency of the Governor.
(c) Serve as the head of the Education Reorganization Workgroup.
(d) Serve as the head of the K-20 education leadership team.
(3) The Florida Board of Education shall establish a detailed procedure for the implementation of a systemwide K-20 technology plan which includes a month-by-month timeline with monthly progress reports to the board.
(4) Subject to review and approval of the State Board of Education, the Florida Board of Education shall:
(a) Adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54 to implement provisions of law conferring duties upon it. The rules shall be submitted to the State Board of Education. If any rule is not disapproved by the State Board of Education within 45 days after its receipt, the rule shall be filed immediately with the Department of State.
(b) Prepare and submit a coordinated K-20 education budget to the Governor and Legislature that clearly defines the individual needs of the divisions within the Department of Education.
(c) Establish a work plan and timeline for the orderly implementation of the transition, including a fully detailed plan and timeline for the devolution of duties, as appropriate, to the university boards of trustees.
(d) Establish accountability standards for existing legislative performance goals, standards, and measures, and order the development of mechanisms to implement new legislative goals, standards, and measures.
(e) Supervise the coordination of institutions and delivery sectors.
(f) Establish policies for university and community college boards of trustees to follow in selecting presidents.
(g) Approve plans and reports, and take other necessary actions pertaining to the supervision of education.
(h) Effectuate the timely implementation of the seamless K-20 education system.
(i) Establish advisory boards on an ad hoc basis to provide the support needed to address issues such as public education facilities planning; student issues; instructional issues; distance learning and technology; academic quality, freedom, and responsibility; and research.
(j) Develop and review recommendations on issues of statewide importance, such as technology systems and facilities.
(k) Adopt criteria and implementation plans for future growth issues, such as new colleges and universities and campus mergers; and provide for cooperative agreements between and within public and private education sectors.
(l) Advise the State Board of Education regarding the issuance of bonds.
(m) Develop, and periodically review for adjustment, a coordinated 5-year plan for postsecondary enrollment and annually submit the plan to the Legislature.
(n) Develop and recommend to the Education Governance Reorganization Transition Task Force, the Governor, the Secretary of the Florida Board of Education, the Commissioner of Education, and the Legislature, no later than January 1, 2002, for adoption during 2002, a clear, concise new School Code, comprised of the revision of chapters 228-246, to accomplish the implementation, administration, and operation of Florida's seamless K-20 education system in accordance with the guidelines included in s. 229.0061.
(o) Serve as the successor for all collective bargaining agreements currently in effect with the Board of Regents.
(5) Effective July 1, 2001, the Commissioner of Education shall:
(a) Work with the Florida Board of Education and its secretary to achieve full implementation of the seamless K-20 education system.
(b) Commence reorganization of the Department of Education as a state agency of the Governor in accordance with legislative guidelines pursuant to s. 229.0073, the requirements of s. 229.003(5), and requests of the Florida Board of Education as approved by the State Board of Education.
(c) As Secretary of the State Board of Education, assist the Secretary of the Florida Board of Education in determining the agenda for the Florida Board of Education and provide the Florida Board of Education and the State Board of Education the full support of the reorganized Department of Education.
History.--s. 10, ch. 2001-170.