Section 229.0082, Florida Statutes 2001
229.0082 University presidents; powers and duties.--The president is the chief executive officer of the university, shall be corporate secretary of the state university board of trustees, and is responsible for the operation and administration of the university. Each university president shall:
(1) Recommend the adoption of rules, as appropriate, to the state university board of trustees to implement provisions of law governing the operation and administration of the university, which shall include the specific powers and duties enumerated in this section. Such rules shall be consistent with the mission of the university and the rules and policies of the Florida Board of Education.
(2) Prepare a budget request and an operating budget for approval by the university board of trustees.
(3) Establish and implement policies and procedures to recruit, appoint, transfer, promote, compensate, evaluate, reward, demote, discipline, and remove personnel, within law and rules of the Florida Board of Education and in accordance with rules or policies approved by the university board of trustees.
(4) Govern admissions, subject to law and rules or policies of the university board of trustees and the Florida Board of Education.
(5) Approve, execute, and administer contracts for and on behalf of the university board of trustees for the acquisition of commodities, goods, equipment, services, leases of real and personal property, and planning and construction to be rendered to or by the university, provided such contracts are within law and guidelines of the Florida Board of Education and in conformance with policies of the university board of trustees, and are for the implementation of approved programs of the university.
(6) Act for the university board of trustees as custodian of all university property. The authority vested in the university president under this subsection includes the authority to prioritize the use of university space, property, equipment, and resources and the authority to impose charges for the use of those items.
(7) Establish the internal academic calendar of the university within general guidelines of the Florida Board of Education.
(8) Administer the university's program of intercollegiate athletics.
(9) Recommend to the board of trustees the establishment and termination of undergraduate and master's-level degree programs within the approved role and scope of the university.
(10) Award degrees.
(11) Recommend to the board of trustees a schedule of tuition and fees to be charged by the university, within law and rules of the Florida Board of Education.
(12) Organize the university to efficiently and effectively achieve the goals of the university.
(13) Review periodically the operations of the university in order to determine how effectively and efficiently the university is being administered and whether it is meeting the goals of its strategic plan adopted by the Florida Board of Education.
(14) Enter into agreements for student exchange programs which involve students at the university and students in other institutions of higher learning.
(15) Approve the internal procedures of student government organizations and provide purchasing, contracting, and budgetary review processes for these organizations.
(16) Ensure compliance with federal and state laws, regulations, and other requirements that are applicable to the university.
(17) Maintain all data and information pertaining to the operation of the university, and report on the attainment by the university of institutional and statewide performance accountability goals.
(18) Adjust property records and dispose of state-owned tangible personal property in the university's custody in accordance with procedures established by the university board of trustees. Notwithstanding the provisions of s. 273.055(5), all moneys received from the disposition of state-owned tangible personal property shall be retained by the university and disbursed for the acquisition of tangible personal property and for all necessary operating expenditures. The university shall maintain records of the accounts into which such moneys are deposited.
History.--s. 15, ch. 2001-170.