Section 230.22, Florida Statutes 2001
230.22 General powers of school board.--The school board, after considering recommendations submitted by the superintendent, shall exercise the following general powers:
(1) Determine policies and programs deemed necessary by it for the efficient operation and general improvement of the district school system.
(2) Adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54 to implement the provisions of law conferring duties upon it to supplement those prescribed by the state board and the commissioner.
(3) Prescribe and adopt standards as are considered desirable by it for improving the district school system.
(4) Contract, sue, and be sued. The school board shall constitute the contracting agent for the district school system.
(5) Perform duties and exercise those responsibilities which are assigned to it by law or by rules of the state board or the commissioner and, in addition thereto, those which it may find to be necessary for the improvement of the district school system in carrying out the purposes and objectives of the school code.
(6) Assign students to schools.
History.--s. 422, ch. 19355, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 892(85); s. 21, ch. 65-239; s. 1, ch. 69-300; s. 26, ch. 72-221; s. 33, ch. 73-338; s. 6, ch. 74-100; s. 11, ch. 76-223; s. 1, ch. 89-206; s. 65, ch. 95-267; ss. 3, 104, ch. 97-190; s. 30, ch. 98-200.