Section 231.085, Florida Statutes 2001
231.085 Duties of principals.--
(1) A district school board shall employ, through written contract, public school principals who shall supervise the operation and management of the schools and property as the district school board determines necessary.
(2) The principal is responsible for recommending to the superintendent of schools the employment of instructional personnel to be assigned to the school to which the principal is assigned.
(3) Each principal is responsible for the performance of all personnel employed by the district school board and assigned to the school to which the principal is assigned. The principal shall faithfully and effectively apply the personnel assessment system approved by the district school board pursuant to s. 231.29.
(4) Each principal shall assist the teachers within the school to use student assessment data, as measured by student learning gains pursuant to s. 229.57, for self-evaluation.
(5) Each principal shall perform such duties as may be assigned by the superintendent of schools, pursuant to the rules of the district school board. Such rules shall include, but are not limited to, rules relating to administrative responsibility, instructional leadership in implementing the Sunshine State Standards and the overall educational program of the school to which the principal is assigned, submission of personnel recommendations to the superintendent of schools, administrative responsibility for records and reports, administration of corporal punishment, and student suspension.
(6) Each principal shall provide leadership in the development or revision and implementation of a school improvement plan, pursuant to s. 230.23(16).
(7) Each principal must make the necessary provisions to ensure that all school reports are accurate and timely, and must provide the necessary training opportunities for staff to accurately report attendance, FTE program participation, student performance, teacher appraisal, and school safety and discipline data.
(8) A principal who fails to comply with this section shall be ineligible for any portion of the performance pay policy incentive under s. 230.23(5)(c).
History.--s. 1, ch. 74-315; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 7, 28, 31, ch. 82-242; s. 95, ch. 83-217; s. 5, ch. 84-94; s. 16, ch. 91-283; s. 7, ch. 92-67; s. 53, ch. 97-190; ss. 48, 66, ch. 99-398; s. 10, ch. 2000-301; s. 2, ch. 2001-90.