Section 231.63, Florida Statutes 2001
231.63 Florida Educator Hall of Fame.--
(1) The Florida Educator Hall of Fame is established to recognize and honor those persons, living or dead, who have made significant contributions to education in this state.
(2)(a) The Florida Educator Hall of Fame shall be located in an area on the Plaza Level of the Capitol Building.
(b) The Florida Education Foundation shall make a recommendation for the design and theme for the Florida Educator Hall of Fame. The Commissioner of Education, in consultation with the Secretary of Management Services, shall approve the foundation's recommendation.
(c) Each person who is selected as a member shall have a plaque placed in the Florida Educator Hall of Fame. The plaque shall designate the member's particular discipline or contribution and shall set forth vital information relating to the member. Each member shall also receive a standardized memento of the member's selection.
(3) The Florida Education Foundation shall accept nominations annually for persons to be recommended as members of the Florida Educator Hall of Fame. Floridians who have made a significant contribution to education in this state, as determined and documented by the Florida Education Foundation, shall be eligible for membership. The foundation shall recommend to the Commissioner of Education persons to be named as members of the Florida Educator Hall of Fame.
(4) The Commissioner of Education shall name no more than four members to the Florida Educator Hall of Fame in any 1 year.
(5) The Commissioner of Education and the Florida Education Foundation shall develop and adopt written policies to carry out the purposes of this section, including procedures to accept nominations, make recommendations for selection of members, provide recipient's travel expenses, and provide funding for the Florida Educator Hall of Fame.
(6) The Commissioner of Education may annually request an appropriation from the Legislature sufficient to carry out the purposes of this section. The Florida Education Foundation may also provide funds to cover any or all expenses related to the Florida Educator Hall of Fame.
History.--s. 13, ch. 98-281; s. 56, ch. 2000-301.