Section 232.03, Florida Statutes 2001
232.03 Evidence of date of birth required.--Before admitting a child to prekindergarten or kindergarten, the principal shall require evidence that the child has attained the age at which he or she should be admitted in accordance with the provisions of s. 232.01. The superintendent may require evidence of the age of any child whom he or she believes to be within the limits of compulsory attendance as provided for by law. If the first prescribed evidence is not available, the next evidence obtainable in the order set forth below shall be accepted:
(1) A duly attested transcript of the child's birth record filed according to law with a public officer charged with the duty of recording births;
(2) A duly attested transcript of a certificate of baptism showing the date of birth and place of baptism of the child, accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by the parent;
(3) An insurance policy on the child's life which has been in force for at least 2 years;
(4) A bona fide contemporary Bible record of the child's birth accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by the parent;
(5) A passport or certificate of arrival in the United States showing the age of the child;
(6) A transcript of record of age shown in the child's school record of at least 4 years prior to application, stating date of birth; or
(7) If none of these evidences can be produced, an affidavit of age sworn to by the parent, accompanied by a certificate of age signed by a public health officer or by a public school physician, or, if neither of these shall be available in the county, by a licensed practicing physician designated by the school board, which certificate shall state that the health officer or physician has examined the child and believes that the age as stated in the affidavit is substantially correct. A homeless child, as defined in s. 228.041, shall be given temporary exemption from this section for 30 school days.
History.--s. 603, ch. 19355, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 892(174); s. 51, ch. 29764, 1955; s. 1, ch. 69-300; s. 1, ch. 70-72; s. 93, ch. 72-221; s. 9, ch. 79-288; s. 5, ch. 89-101; s. 1261, ch. 95-147; s. 21, ch. 97-190; s. 2, ch. 2001-98.