Section 232.65, Florida Statutes 2001
232.65 Governing organization for athletics; public liaison advisory committee.--
(1) The organization shall establish, sustain, fund, and provide staff support to a public liaison advisory committee composed of the following:
(a) The Commissioner of Education or his or her designee.
(b) A member public school principal.
(c) A member nonpublic school principal.
(d) A member school principal who is a member of a racial minority.
(e) An active athletic director.
(f) An active coach, who is employed full time by a member school.
(g) A student athlete.
(h) A district school superintendent.
(i) A district school board member.
(j) A member of the Florida House of Representatives.
(k) A member of the Florida Senate.
(l) A parent of a high school student.
(m) A member of a home education association.
(n) A representative of the business community.
(o) A representative of the news media.
(2) No member of the board of directors, committee on appeals, or representative assembly is eligible to serve on the public liaison advisory committee.
(3) The public liaison advisory committee shall elect a chairperson and vice chairperson from among its members.
(4) The authority and duties of the public liaison advisory committee are as follows:
(a) To act as a conduit through which the general public may have input into the decisionmaking process of the organization and to assist the organization in the development of procedures regarding the receipt of public input and disposition of complaints related to high school athletic and competition programs.
(b) To conduct public hearings annually in each of the four administrative regions during which interested parties may address issues regarding the effectiveness of the rules, operation, and management of the organization.
(c) To conduct an annual evaluation of the organization as a whole and present a report of its findings, conclusion, and recommendations to the board of directors, to the Commissioner of Education, and to the respective education committees of the Florida Senate and the Florida House of Representatives. The recommendations must delineate policies and procedures that will improve the implementation and oversight of high school athletic programs by the organization.
(5) The public liaison advisory committee shall meet four times annually. Additional meetings may be called by the committee chairperson, the organization president, or the organization commissioner.
History.--s. 6, ch. 97-53.