Section 235.216, Florida Statutes 2001
235.216 SIT Program award eligibility; maximum cost per student station of educational facilities; frugality incentives; recognition awards.--
(1) It is the intent of the Legislature that district school boards that seek awards of SIT Program funds use due diligence and sound business practices in the design, construction, and use of educational facilities.
(2) A school district may seek an award from the SIT Program, pursuant to this section and s. 235.2155, based on the district's:
(a) New construction of educational facilities if the cost per student station is less than:
1. $11,600 for an elementary school,
2. $13,300 for a middle school, or
3. $17,600 for a high school,
(1997) as adjusted annually by the Consumer Price Index. The award shall be up to 50 percent of such savings, as recommended by the SMART Schools Clearinghouse.
(b) Operation of charter schools in non-school-district facilities. SIT Program awards pursuant to this paragraph shall be as recommended by the SMART Schools Clearinghouse. After the initial award, the recommendation must be based on savings realized from proportionate district increase in such charter school enrollment in excess of original enrollment, and the award shall be up to 50 percent of such savings.
(3) Beginning with the 1998-1999 fiscal year, a school district may seek a SMART school of the year recognition award for building the highest quality functional, frugal school. The commissioner may present a trophy or plaque and a cash award to the school recommended by the SMART Schools Clearinghouse for a SMART school of the year recognition award.
History.--s. 23, ch. 97-153; s. 3, ch. 97-265; s. 9, ch. 97-384; s. 8, ch. 99-329.