Section 235.2195, Florida Statutes 2001
235.2195 The 1997 School Capital Outlay Bond Program.--There is hereby established the 1997 School Capital Outlay Bond Program.
(1) The issuance of revenue bonds payable from the first lottery revenues transferred to the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund each fiscal year, as provided by s. 24.121(2), is authorized to finance or refinance the construction, acquisition, reconstruction, or renovation of educational facilities. Such bonds shall be issued pursuant to and in compliance with the provisions of s. 11(d), Art. VII of the State Constitution, the provisions of the State Bond Act, ss. 215.57-215.83, as amended, and the provisions of this section. The state does hereby covenant with the holders of such revenue bonds that it will not take any action which will materially and adversely affect the rights of such holders so long as bonds authorized by this section are outstanding. The state does hereby additionally authorize the establishment of a covenant in connection with the bonds which provides that any additional funds received by the state from new or enhanced lottery programs, video gaming, or other similar activities will first be available for payments relating to bonds pledging revenues available pursuant to s. 24.121(2), prior to use for any other purpose.
(2) The bonds shall be issued by the Division of Bond Finance of the State Board of Administration on behalf of the Department of Education in such amount as shall be requested by resolution of the State Board of Education. However, debt service and other amounts payable with respect to the bonds issued pursuant to this section shall not exceed $35 million in any state fiscal year.
(3) Proceeds available from bond sales shall be deposited in the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund within the Department of Education.
(4) The facilities to be financed with the proceeds of such bonds are designated as state fixed capital outlay projects for purposes of s. 11(d), Art. VII of the State Constitution and the specific facilities to be financed shall be determined by the Department of Education in accordance with state law and appropriations from the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund. Each educational facility to be financed with the proceeds of the bonds issued pursuant to this section is hereby approved as required by s. 11(f), Art. VII of the State Constitution.
(5) Bonds issued pursuant to this section shall be validated in the manner provided by chapter 75. The complaint for such validation shall be filed in the circuit court of the county where the seat of state government is situated, the notice required to be published by s. 75.06 shall be published only in the county where the complaint is filed, and the complaint and order of the circuit court shall be served only on the state attorney of the circuit in which the action is pending.
History.--s. 13, ch. 97-384; s. 11, ch. 98-47; s. 16, ch. 2000-152.