Section 239.5141, Florida Statutes 2001
1239.5141 Workforce Development Information System; development; phases.--The Legislature finds that changes in workforce development education required by chapter 97-307, Laws of Florida, require the development of an information infrastructure that has been adequately tested and retrofitted. The Legislature further finds that, to be adequate for calculating funding levels for programs conducted by both school districts and community colleges, a single Workforce Development Information System must be developed in an orderly, phased process with resources adequate to make the changes identified in the final report of the Commissioner's Task Force on Workforce Development. Therefore, the Department of Education, school districts, and community colleges shall cooperate to implement the following schedule:
(1) By July 1, 1998, as recommended by the task force, implement the additional reporting sequences, revised data elements, and combined individually identifiable student information from the student databases maintained by the Division of Community Colleges and the Division of Public Schools. Individually identifiable student information shall be reported only as required for making funding decisions as required by s. 239.115, the recommendations of the Commissioner's Task Force on Workforce Development, and the General Appropriations Act. These divisions shall cooperate with the Office of Workforce Education Outcome Information Services of the Department of Education to conduct the joint data element review process recommended in the task force report.
(2) On November 1, 1998; April 1, 1999; and June 1, 1999, provide the commissioner with a progress report on the implementation of the recommendations of the Commissioner's Task Force on Workforce Development. The report must identify any problems that might impede implementation and describe activities taken to correct them.
(3) By December 1, 1998:
(a) Design specifications for the collection and reporting of data and performance specifications for the Workforce Development Information System. This design must enable parallel reporting and state-level access of workforce data necessary to use the data reports as a basis for calculating funding allocations. In addition, the design must be capable of providing reports necessary to comply with other program performance documentation required by state or federal law, without requiring additional data collection or reporting from local educational agencies.
(b) Develop the computer programs, software, and edit processes necessary for local and state users to produce a single, unified Workforce Development Information System.
(4) By May 15, 1999, complete pilot testing local and state Workforce Development Information System processes.
(5) By July 1, 1999, complete design and development of the Workforce Development Information System.
(6) On October 1, 1999, community colleges and school districts shall complete the first reporting period applicable to the Workforce Development Information System. To assure that this implementation process is conducted successfully, the implementation dates required in ss. 239.115 and 239.117 are advanced by 1 year, to July 1, 1999, for implementation of the funding formula, and to the 2000-2001 school year for implementation of the fee schedule. During the 1998-1999 fiscal year, school districts and community colleges shall conduct workforce development education programs with state funding as provided in the General Appropriations Act.
History.--s. 3, ch. 98-58; s. 3(7), ch. 2000-321.
1Note.--Repealed January 7, 2003, by s. 3(7), ch. 2000-321, and shall be reviewed by the Legislature prior to that date.