Section 1001.41, Florida Statutes 2009
1001.41 General powers of district school board.--The district school board, after considering recommendations submitted by the district school superintendent, shall exercise the following general powers:
(1) Determine policies and programs consistent with state law and rule deemed necessary by it for the efficient operation and general improvement of the district school system.
(2) Adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54 to implement the provisions of law conferring duties upon it to supplement those prescribed by the State Board of Education and the Commissioner of Education.
(3) Prescribe and adopt standards and policies to provide each student the opportunity to receive a complete education program, including language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, health, physical education, foreign languages, and the arts, as defined by the Sunshine State Standards. The standards and policies must emphasize integration and reinforcement of reading, writing, and mathematics skills across all subjects, including career awareness, career exploration, and career and technical education.
(4) Contract, sue, and be sued. The district school board shall constitute the contracting agent for the district school system.
(5) Perform duties and exercise those responsibilities that are assigned to it by law or by rules of the State Board of Education or the Commissioner of Education and, in addition thereto, those that it may find to be necessary for the improvement of the district school system in carrying out the purposes and objectives of the education code.
(6) Assign students to schools.
(7) Enter into agreements for accepting credit card, charge card, and debit card payments as compensation for goods, services, tuition, and fees, as authorized by law.
History.--s. 54, ch. 2002-387; s. 10, ch. 2006-74.