As used in this act, the term:
(1) “Automatic tabulating equipment” includes apparatus necessary to automatically examine, count, and record votes.
(2) “Ballot” means the card, tape, or other vehicle upon which the elector’s choices are recorded.
(3) “Ballot information” means the material containing the names of offices and candidates and the questions to be voted on.
(4) “Electronic or electromechanical voting system” means a system of casting votes by use of voting devices or marking devices and counting ballots by employing automatic tabulating equipment or data processing equipment, and the term includes touchscreen systems.
(5) “Marking device” means any approved device for marking a ballot with ink or other substance which will enable the ballot to be tabulated by means of automatic tabulating equipment.
(6) “Secrecy envelope” means an opaque device, used for enclosing a marked ballot, which conceals the voter’s choices.
(7) “Software” means the programs and routines used to employ and control the capabilities of data processing hardware, including, without limitation, operating systems, compilers, assemblers, utilities, library routines, maintenance routines, applications, and computer networking programs.
(8) “Voting device” means an apparatus by which votes are registered electronically.