The governing body of any unit in the state is hereby authorized and empowered:
(1) To acquire by purchase or to construct, or partly acquire and partly construct, and to improve, repair, reconstruct, own, operate and maintain any self-liquidating project, or any combination of one or more projects as a single project, either inside or outside or partly inside and partly outside of the boundaries of the corporate limits of such unit; provided, however, that the consent of the adjoining governmental authority must be first obtained before a project may be effected outside the boundaries of the corporate limits of such unit.
(2) To issue revenue bonds of such unit, payable from earnings and any other special funds pledged therefor as provided herein, to pay the cost of a project or improvement thereof.
(3) To fix and collect rates, fees, tolls, rentals or other charges for the services and facilities furnished by such project.
(4) To acquire in the name of the unit, either by purchase or the exercise of the right of eminent domain, such lands and rights and interests therein, including lands under water and riparian rights, and to acquire such personal property, as it may deem necessary in connection with the construction, reconstruction, improvement, extension, enlargement or operation of any project.
(5) To make and enter into all contracts and agreements necessary or incidental to the performance of its duties and the execution of its powers under this part, and to employ such consulting engineers, attorneys, accountants, construction and financial experts, superintendents, managers, and other employees and agents as may, in the judgment of the governing body, be deemed necessary, and to fix their compensation; provided, however, that all such expenses shall be payable solely from funds made available under the provisions of this part.
(6) To receive and accept from any federal agency grants for or in aid of the planning, construction, reconstruction or financing of any project, and to receive and accept aid or contributions from any source of either money, property, labor or other things of value, to be held, used and applied only for the purposes for which such grants and contributions may be made.