(1) A tax is hereby imposed upon all tobacco products in this state and upon any person engaged in business as a distributor thereof at the rate of 25 percent of the wholesale sales price of such tobacco products. Such tax shall be imposed at the time the distributor:
(a) Brings or causes to be brought into this state from without the state tobacco products for sale;
(b) Makes, manufactures, or fabricates tobacco products in this state for sale in this state; or
(c) Ships or transports tobacco products to retailers in this state, to be sold by those retailers.
(2) A tax is hereby imposed upon the use or storage by consumers of tobacco products in this state and upon such consumers at the rate of 25 percent of the cost of such tobacco products. The tax imposed by this subsection shall not apply if the tax imposed by subsection (1) on such tobacco products has been paid. This tax shall not apply to the use or storage of tobacco products in quantities of less than 1 pound in the possession of any one consumer.
(3) Any tobacco product with respect to which a tax has once been imposed under this part shall not again be subject to tax under this part.
(4) No tax shall be imposed by this part upon tobacco products not within the taxing power of the state under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution.
(5) The exemptions provided for cigarettes under s. 210.04(4) shall also apply to tobacco products under this part.