(1) The custodian may classify as surplus any property in his or her custody that is obsolete or the continued use of which is uneconomical or inefficient or which serves no useful function as to any activity or location under his or her supervision.
(2) Each custodian shall appoint one or more review boards to examine and make recommendations on approval or disapproval of classification of property as surplus.
(3) Property determined to be surplus shall be certified as such by the custodian.
(4) Each custodian shall promulgate rules or guidelines regarding the certification of surplus property.
(5) The custodian shall maintain records of property that is certified as surplus with information indicating the value and condition of the property. Agency records for property certified as surplus shall comply with rules issued by the Auditor General.