(1) It is the intent of the Legislature that this section has applied and shall continue to apply to state officers and employees of the executive and judicial branches of state government.
(2) The term “motor vehicle” as used in this section includes any automobile or light truck. This definition also includes any airplane or other vehicle designed primarily for transporting persons.
(3) It is unlawful for any state officer or employee to authorize the purchase or continuous lease of any motor vehicle to be paid for out of funds of the state or any department thereof unless funds therefor have been appropriated by the Legislature. This subsection does not apply to motor vehicles needed to meet unforeseen or emergency situations, if approved by the Executive Office of the Governor after consultation with the legislative appropriations committees.
(4) Motor vehicles for which replacement funds have been appropriated may not be retained in service unless they are required to meet emergency or major unforeseen needs. All replaced vehicles which are retained to meet emergency or unforeseen needs shall be reported to the Legislature in subsequent agency budget request documents, detailing the specific justification for the retention of each vehicle.
(5) Motor vehicles shall not be acquired on a deferred payment contract which requires the payment of interest or its equivalent, except when specifically approved by the Executive Office of the Governor after consultation with the legislative appropriations committees as in the best interest of the state.