It is the policy of this state, once the Federal Government has proposed any base closure or has determined that military bases, lands, or installations are to be closed and made available for reuse, to:
(1) Cooperate fully with the Federal Government and community base reuse commissions to ensure prompt effective plans for converting available base lands and facilities to uses which further the affected communities’ welfare.
(2) Conduct, in cooperation with federal and local government agencies, prompt and comprehensive assessments of the economic development, environmental, wildlife conservation, and growth management implications of base closure and reuse for use in making recommendations on land disposition.
(3) Honor, consistent with the state’s responsibility to protect the health, safety, and welfare of its citizens, the affected communities’ plans in regard to base reuse.
(4) Offer to affected communities, to the maximum extent feasible, guidance and technical assistance in formulating plans for the beneficial economic development, environmental resource management, and other use of available base lands.
(5) Provide, to the maximum extent feasible, special assistance and outreach, in the form of counseling, training, and placement services, to workers in this state displaced by defense industry reductions, base closure, and realignments.
(6) Expedite, consistent with the state’s responsibility to protect the environment, manage growth, and fulfill its proprietary responsibilities, all state permitting, planning, and state lands ownership processes related to the closure and reuse of military base lands and facilities.
(7) Actively encourage the Federal Government to provide adequate funding and expeditious action for military base closing and reuse and to provide, consistent with national security laws and authorities, good access to affected military installations and their personnel for the purpose of fulfilling state agency responsibilities.
(8) Coordinate base retention efforts among communities in this state whose military installations are recommended for closure or realignment.
(9) Coordinate the development of the Defense-Related Business Adjustment Program to increase commercial technology development by defense companies.
(10) Coordinate the development, maintenance, and analysis of a workforce database to assist workers adversely affected by defense-related activities in their relocation efforts.