(1) The department shall develop a U.S. Paratroopers license plate as provided in this section. The U.S. Paratroopers license plate must bear the colors and design approved by the department. The word “Florida” must appear at the top of the plate, and the words “U.S. Paratroopers” must appear at the bottom of the plate. The Airborne Wings and Glider Wings logo must appear in black on the left side of the plate, centered from top to bottom. The plate must have a white background with red and blue letters or numbers.
(2) U.S. Paratroopers license plates may only be purchased by current or former United States military personnel who, as part of their military duty, have been trained to jump from flying aircraft.
(3) Each owner or lessee of an automobile or truck for private use, truck weighing not more than 7,999 pounds, or recreational vehicle as specified in s. 320.08(9)(c) or (d), which is not used for hire or commercial use, who is a resident of this state and who meets the qualifications contained in subsection (2) shall, upon application therefor to the department, with the payment of the taxes and fees described in subsection (5), be issued a U.S. Paratroopers license plate. Each application must be accompanied by proof that the applicant has been decorated as a parachutist or has completed the U.S. Army Jump School.
(4) The department is responsible for developing the license plate authorized in this section. The department shall begin production and distribution within 1 year.
(5) Each request must be made annually to the department, accompanied by the following tax and fees: (a) The license tax required for the vehicle as set forth in s. 320.08.
(b) A processing fee of $2.
(c) A license plate fee as required under s. 320.06(1)(b).
(d) A license plate annual use fee of $20.
(6) The department shall retain all annual use fee revenues from the sale of the U.S. Paratroopers license plates until all startup costs for developing and issuing the plates are recovered, not to exceed $60,000. Thereafter, the annual use fee revenues shall be distributed to the State Homes for Veterans Trust Fund.