The Legislature finds that:
(1) The present and prospective traffic congestion in many urban areas of this state and the limited availability of state funds require as a public purpose the promotion and development of transportation facilities and systems by new and alternative means.
(2) The authorization of corporations by the department is essential to the continued economic growth of this state; is in the public interest; and will promote the public health, safety, and welfare by securing expanded and improved transportation facilities and systems.
(3) Corporations authorized pursuant to this act will perform an essential governmental function by acting on behalf of the state to secure and obtain rights-of-way for urgently needed transportation systems and to assist in the planning and design of such systems.
(4) Corporations authorized pursuant to this act will act on behalf of the department and thus will reduce the burdens and demands on the limited funds available to the department itself.
(5) Corporations authorized pursuant to this act shall be nonprofit corporations, and no part of a corporation’s earnings shall inure to the benefit of any private interests.