(1) There is hereby created and established a body politic and corporate, an agency of the state, to be known as the Brevard County Expressway Authority, hereinafter referred to as “authority.”
(2) The governing body of the authority shall consist of five members, one member appointed by the Board of County Commissioners of Brevard County from each of the county commission districts of Brevard County. In the alternative, the board of county commissioners, in its sole discretion, may elect to serve individually as the governing body of the authority and in the event of such election, such individual county commissioners shall possess full and complete power and authority as the governing body of said authority as specified under this part. In the event said board of county commissioners does not elect to serve individually as the governing body of the authority, two of the members who are first appointed shall serve a term of 2 years beginning on January 1 of the year of their appointment, and three of the members who are first appointed shall serve a term of 4 years beginning on January 1 of the year of their appointment. Thereafter, the term of such appointed members shall be for 4 years. Each member so appointed shall serve at the pleasure of the Board of County Commissioners of Brevard County and shall hold office until his or her successor has been appointed and qualified. A vacancy occurring during a term shall be filled only for the balance of the unexpired term.
(3) The authority shall elect one of its members as chair of the authority. The authority shall also elect a secretary and a treasurer, who may or may not be members of the authority. The secretary and treasurer shall hold such offices at the will of the authority. Three members of the authority shall constitute a quorum of the authority to exercise all of the rights and perform all of the duties of the authority.
(4) The authority may employ an executive secretary, an executive director, its own counsel and legal staff, technical experts, and such engineers and employees, permanent or temporary, as it may require, and may determine the qualifications and fix the compensation of such persons, firms, or corporations, and may employ a fiscal agent or agents.
(5) The authority may avail itself of the facilities and employees of Brevard County for the purpose of carrying out any rights or duties granted or imposed on said authority by this part or any other provisions of law. Brevard County is hereby authorized to enter into agreements with the authority in order to make available its facilities and employees. Reimbursement shall be made by the authority to Brevard County should the authority, in its discretion, utilize said facilities or employees, but said reimbursement shall not exceed the actual costs to Brevard County.
(6) Members of the authority shall be entitled to receive from the authority their travel and other necessary expenses incurred in connection with the business of the authority, as provided in s. 112.061, but they shall draw no salaries or other compensation.