(1) There is hereby created and established a body politic and corporate, an agency of the state, to be known as the “Tampa-Hillsborough County Expressway Authority.”
(2) The governing body of the authority shall consist of a board of seven members. (a) Four of the members shall be appointed by the Governor subject to confirmation by the Senate at the next regular session of the Legislature. Refusal or failure of the Senate to confirm an appointment shall create a vacancy.
1. Each such member’s term of office shall be for 4 years or until his or her successor shall have been appointed and qualified.
2. Vacancies occurring in the governing body for any such members prior to the expiration of the affected term shall be filled for the unexpired term.
3. The Governor shall have the authority to remove from office any such member of the governing body in the manner and for cause defined by the laws of this state.
4. Each such member, before entering upon his or her official duties, shall take and subscribe to an oath before some official authorized by law to administer oaths that he or she will honestly, faithfully, and impartially perform the duties devolving upon him or her in office as a member of the governing body of the authority and that he or she will not neglect any duties imposed upon him or her by this part.
(b) One member shall be the mayor, or the mayor’s designate, who shall be the chair of the city council of the city in Hillsborough County having the largest population, according to the latest decennial census, who shall serve as a member ex officio.
(c) One member shall be a member of the Board of County Commissioners of Hillsborough County, selected by such board, who shall serve as a member ex officio.
(d) One member shall be the district secretary of the Department of Transportation serving in the district that contains Hillsborough County, who shall serve ex officio.
(3) The authority shall designate one of its members as chair. The members of the authority shall not be entitled to compensation but shall be entitled to receive their travel and other necessary expenses as provided in s. 112.061. A majority of the members of the authority shall constitute a quorum, and resolutions enacted or adopted by a vote of a majority of the members present and voting at any meeting shall become effective without publication or posting or any further action of the authority.
(4) The authority may employ a secretary and executive director, its own counsel and legal staff, and such legal, financial, and other professional consultants, technical experts, engineers, and employees, permanent or temporary, as it may require and may determine the qualifications and fix the compensation of such persons, firms, or corporations. The authority may contract with the Division of Bond Finance of the State Board of Administration for any financial services authorized herein.
(5) The authority may delegate to one or more of its officers or employees such of its powers as it shall deem necessary to carry out the purposes of this part, subject always to the supervision and control of the authority. Members of the authority may be removed from their office by the Governor for misconduct, malfeasance, misfeasance, and nonfeasance in office.