379.501 Aquatic weeds and plants; prohibitions; violations; penalties; intent.—
(1) A person may not:
(a) Violate this section or any provision of s. 369.20 or s. 369.22 related to aquatic weeds and plants;
(b) Fail to obtain any permit required by s. 369.20 or s. 369.22 or by commission rule implementing s. 369.20 or s. 369.22, or violate or fail to comply with any rule, regulation, order, permit, or certification adopted or issued by the commission pursuant to s. 369.20 or s. 369.22; or
(c) Knowingly make any false statement, representation, or certification in any application, record, report, plan, or other document filed or required to be maintained under s. 369.20 or s. 369.22, or falsify, tamper with, or knowingly render inaccurate any monitoring device or method required to be maintained under s. 369.20 or s. 369.22 or by any permit, rule, regulation, or order issued under s. 369.20 or s. 369.22.
(2) Any person who violates any provision of subsection (1) is liable to the state for any damage caused to the aquatic weeds or plants and for civil penalties as provided in s. 379.502.
(3) Any person who willfully commits a violation of paragraph (1)(a) commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Each day during any portion of which such violation occurs constitutes a separate offense.
(4) Any person who commits a violation specified in paragraph (1)(a) due to reckless indifference or gross careless disregard commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(5) Any person who willfully commits a violation specified in paragraph (1)(b) or paragraph (1)(c) commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(6) It is the intent of the Legislature that the civil penalties and criminal fines imposed by a court be of such an amount as to ensure immediate and continued compliance with this section.
(7) Penalties assessed pursuant to ss. 379.501-379.504 are in addition to any penalties assessed by the Board of Trustees of the Internal Improvement Trust Fund, the Department of Environmental Protection, or a water management district pursuant to chapter 253, chapter 373, or chapter 403.