403.1834 State bonds to finance or refinance facilities; exemption from taxation.—
(1) The issuance of state bonds to finance or refinance the construction of water supply and distribution facilities, stormwater control and treatment facilities, and air and water pollution control and abatement and solid waste disposal facilities, payable primarily from the pledged revenues provided for by s. 14, Art. VII of the State Constitution or from such pledged revenues and the full faith and credit of any county, municipality, district, authority, or any agency thereof, and pledging the full faith and credit of the state as additional security, is authorized, subject and pursuant to the provisions of s. 14, Art. VII of the State Constitution, the provisions of the State Bond Act, ss. 215.57-215.83, as amended, and the provisions of this section.
(2) The State Board of Administration is designated as the state fiscal agency to make the determinations required by s. 14, Art. VII of the State Constitution in connection with the issuance of such bonds.
(3) The amount of the state bonds to be issued shall be determined by the Division of Bond Finance of the State Board of Administration. However, the total principal amount issued shall not exceed $300 million in any state fiscal year. This limitation does not apply to bonds issued to refinance outstanding bonds that were issued pursuant to this section in a previous fiscal year.
(4) The facilities to be financed or refinanced with the proceeds of such state bonds shall be determined and approved by the department and may be constructed, acquired, maintained, and operated by any county, municipality, district, or authority, or any agency thereof, or by the department.
(5) The department and the Division of Bond Finance of the State Board of Administration are hereby authorized to enter into lease-purchase agreements between such departments or to enter into lease-purchase agreements or loan agreements between either of such departments and any county, municipality, district, or authority, or any agency thereof, for such periods and under such other terms and conditions as may be mutually agreed upon by the parties thereto in order to carry out the purposes of s. 14, Art. VII of the State Constitution and this section.
(6) The department shall have power to fix, establish, and collect fees, rentals, or other charges for the use or benefit of said facilities or may delegate such power to any county, municipality, district, authority, or any agency thereof under such terms and conditions and for such periods as may be mutually agreed upon.
(7) It is found and declared that said facilities will constitute a public governmental purpose necessary for the health and welfare of all the inhabitants of the state, and none of said facilities or said state bonds or the interest thereon shall ever be subject to taxation by the state or any political subdivision or agency thereof. However, a leasehold interest in property of the state or the facilities thereon may not be exempted from ad valorem taxation when a nongovernmental lessee uses such property for the operation of a multipurpose hazardous waste treatment facility. The exemption granted by this subsection shall not be applicable to any tax imposed by chapter 220 on interest, income, or profits on debt obligations owned by corporations.
(8) As used in this section, “water supply and distribution facilities” means a waterworks system as defined in s. 159.02(9) which is constructed, owned, or operated by a county, municipality, water management district created by chapter 373, or regional water supply authority created pursuant to chapter 373, or a water facility of an authority created by chapter 76-441, Laws of Florida, as amended by chapter 80-546, Laws of Florida.
History.—ss. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ch. 70-270; s. 1, ch. 70-439; s. 2, ch. 71-137; s. 4, ch. 73-256; s. 14, ch. 73-327; s. 78, ch. 79-65; s. 1, ch. 81-21; s. 61, ch. 83-218; s. 19, ch. 86-186; s. 1, ch. 87-203; s. 82, ch. 88-130; s. 303, ch. 92-279; s. 55, ch. 92-326; s. 374, ch. 94-356.