Among its functions, the Division of Recreation and Parks of the Department of Environmental Protection shall:
(1) Study and appraise the recreation needs of the state and assemble and disseminate information relative to recreation;
(2) Provide consultation assistance to the Department of Community Affairs and to local governing units as to the promotion, organization, and administration of local recreation systems and as to the planning and design of local recreation areas and facilities;
(3) Assist in recruiting, training, and placing recreation personnel;
(4) Sponsor and promote recreation institutes, workshops, seminars, and conferences throughout the state;
(5) Cooperate with state and federal agencies, private organizations, and commercial and industrial interests in the promotion of a state recreation program; and
(6) Coordinate recreation functions and facilities of flood control and water management districts.