(1) The credit union shall have a board of directors consisting of at least five directors to be elected from the members in the manner and for such terms as prescribed in the bylaws.
(2) Each director, upon assuming office, shall acknowledge that he or she is familiar with his or her responsibilities as a director and that he or she will diligently and honestly administer the affairs of such credit union and will not knowingly violate, or willfully permit to be violated, any of the provisions of the financial institutions codes or pertinent rules of the commission. The signed copy of such oath shall be filed with the office within 30 days after election.
(3) The board of directors shall fill any vacancies on the board by appointment until successors are elected as provided in the bylaws.
(4) The board of directors and the executive committee shall meet as often as required in the bylaws.
(5) The board of directors must ensure that the general direction of the business affairs of the credit union is managed in a manner that is consistent with safe and sound credit union practices.
(6) The board of directors shall:
(a) Obtain and maintain officer and director liability insurance and blanket bond coverage under such terms, amounts, and limitations as are established by rules adopted by the commission.
(b) Establish written policies governing all areas of operations necessary for prudent credit union practices in accordance with the rules of the commission.
(c) Declare any dividends on shares.
(d) Adequately provide for reserves as required by this chapter or by rules or order of the commission or office or as otherwise determined necessary by the board.
(e) Employ a chief executive officer or, in lieu thereof, designate any board member to act as the chief executive officer and to be in active charge of the affairs of the credit union.
(f) Act on applications for membership, or appoint one or more membership officers to approve or deny applications for membership, under such conditions as are determined by policy of the board of directors. A person denied membership by a membership officer may appeal the denial to the board.
(g) Determine, from time to time, the interest rate or rates which are charged on extensions of credit under such conditions as the board prescribes.
(h) Determine the interest rates which will be paid on deposits and the manner of calculating those rates under such conditions as the board prescribes.
(i) Invest funds, except that the board may designate an investment committee or any qualified individual to make investments pursuant to written policies established by the board.
(j) Designate a depository or depositories for the funds of the credit union under such conditions as the board prescribes.
This subsection does not prohibit the board from delegating, within specific guidelines and policies established by board resolutions, those functions delineated in paragraphs (f), (g), (h), (i), and (j).
(7) The board of directors has authority, which may not be delegated, to:
(a) Limit the number of shares and the amount of deposits which may be owned by a member, which limitation must apply to all members.
(b) Suspend and remove any member of any of its committees for failure to perform his or her duties or for other just cause.
(c) Establish any committee determined to be necessary and appoint its membership.
(d) Call special meetings of the members.
(8) The board of directors may appoint an executive committee that may be authorized to act for the board in all respects, subject to such conditions and limitations as are prescribed by the board in writing. The executive committee shall be composed of the executive officers as defined in s. 657.022.