The department shall exercise full operational control of the state-operated laboratories and shall exercise, among others, the power and duty to:
(1) Establish the organizational structure of such laboratories to include the designation of the geographical regions which the laboratories shall serve.
(2) Establish policy and procedures to be employed by the laboratories.
(3) Promote coordination, cooperation, and standardization between the various state-operated laboratories.
(4) Promote cooperation between the state-operated laboratories and other criminal analysis laboratories in the state in order to achieve a coordinated statewide system of criminal analysis laboratory services to serve all geographic areas of the state.
(5) Establish standards of education and experience for professional and technical personnel employed by the state-operated laboratories.
(6) Adopt internal procedures for the review and evaluation of state-operated laboratory services.