(1) For the purpose of providing state funding, each laboratory designated in s. 943.35 shall submit to the Department of Law Enforcement, on or before October 15 of each year, a written report containing the following:
(a) The actual operating costs of the immediate prior fiscal year.
(b) The operating budget approved by the county commission for the fiscal year in progress.
(c) Workload data, including, but not limited to, the volume of casework received and completed by type and sources of workload by law enforcement agency.
(2) Prior year actual and current operating cost data shall include an itemization of the eligible expenditures required for the laboratory submitting it. The report shall indicate the portion of operating expenses funded by local or federal funds and specify the amount of the local appropriation to be used as the basis for computing the state’s maximum 75 percent funding contribution.
(3) The form of such reports shall be prescribed by the Department of Law Enforcement.
(4) The department shall provide for an annual audit process of the actual operating expenditures to verify their accuracy and compliance with excluded functions and provisions specified in s. 943.35(2) and to ensure that local laboratories are serving the needs of criminal justice agencies within their jurisdiction.
(5) Laboratories which are partially funded by the state shall continue to be locally operated but shall provide services when possible to any law enforcement official upon request.