The state system of adult intake and evaluation shall include:
(1) The performance of pretrial investigation through a decentralized community-based procedure.
(2) Assistance in the evaluation of offenders for diversion from the criminal justice system or referral to residential or nonresidential programs.
(3) The provision of secure detention services for pretrial detainees who are unable to comply with the conditions of release established by the court or who represent a serious threat to the community.
(4) The provision of diagnostic, evaluation, and classification services at the presentence stage to assist the court and the department in planning programs for rehabilitation of convicted offenders.
(5) The performance of postsentence intake by the department. Any physical facility established by the department for the intake and evaluation process prior to the offender’s entry into the correctional system shall provide for specific office and work areas for the staff of the commission. The purpose of such a physical center shall be to combine in one place as many of the rehabilitation-related functions as possible, including pretrial and posttrial evaluation, parole and probation services, vocational rehabilitation services, family assistance services of the Department of Children and Family Services, and all other rehabilitative and correctional services dealing with the offender.