(1) On or before the date prescribed in rules of the State Board of Education, each district school board shall receive and examine the tentative budget submitted by the district school superintendent, and shall require such changes to be made, in keeping with the purposes of the school code, as may be to the best interest of the school program in the district.
(2) The district school board shall determine, within prescribed limits, the reserves to be allotted for contingencies, and the cash balance to be carried forward at the end of the year. If the district school board shall require any changes to be made in receipts, in the reserves for contingencies, or in the cash balance to be carried forward at the end of the year, it shall also require necessary changes to be made in the appropriations for expenditures so that the budget, as changed, will not contain appropriations for expenditures and reserves in excess of, or less than, estimated receipts and balances.
(3) The proposed budget shall include an amount for local required effort for current operation, in accordance with the requirements of s. 1011.62(4).
(4) When a tentative budget has been prepared in accordance with rules of the State Board of Education, the proposed expenditures, plus transfers, and balances shall not exceed the estimated income, transfers, and balances. The budget and each of the parts thereof shall balance.
(5) The district school board shall adopt a tentative budget.