Section 20.03, Florida Statutes 2001
20.03 Definitions.--To provide uniform nomenclature throughout the structure of the executive branch, the following definitions apply:
1(1) "Cabinet" means collectively the Secretary of State, Attorney General, Comptroller, Treasurer, Commissioner of Agriculture, and Commissioner of Education, as specified in s. 4, Art. IV of the State Constitution.
(2) "Department" means the principal administrative unit within the executive branch of state government.
(3) "Examining and licensing board" means a board authorized to grant and revoke licenses to engage in regulated occupations.
(4) "Head of the department" means the individual or board in charge of the department.
(5) "Secretary" means an individual who is appointed by the Governor to head a department and who is not otherwise named in the constitution.
(6) "Executive director" means the chief administrative employee or officer of a department headed by a board or by the Governor and the Cabinet.
(7) "Council" or "advisory council" means an advisory body created by specific statutory enactment and appointed to function on a continuing basis for the study of the problems arising in a specified functional or program area of state government and to provide recommendations and policy alternatives.
(8) "Committee" or "task force" means an advisory body created without specific statutory enactment for a time not to exceed 1 year or created by specific statutory enactment for a time not to exceed 3 years and appointed to study a specific problem and recommend a solution or policy alternative with respect to that problem. Its existence terminates upon the completion of its assignment.
(9) "Coordinating council" means an interdepartmental advisory body created by law to coordinate programs and activities for which one department has primary responsibility but in which one or more other departments have an interest.
(10) "Commission," unless otherwise required by the State Constitution, means a body created by specific statutory enactment within a department, the office of the Governor, or the Executive Office of the Governor and exercising limited quasi-legislative or quasi-judicial powers, or both, independently of the head of the department or the Governor.
(11) "Agency," as the context requires, means an official, officer, commission, authority, council, committee, department, division, bureau, board, section, or another unit or entity of government.
(12) "Board of trustees," except with reference to the board created in chapter 253, means a board created by specific statutory enactment and appointed to function adjunctively to a department, the Governor, or the Executive Office of the Governor to administer public property or a public program.
History.--s. 3, ch. 69-106; s. 2, ch. 82-46; s. 5, ch. 83-217; s. 2, ch. 94-235; s. 3, ch. 2000-258.
1Note.--Section 3, ch. 2000-258, amended subsection (1), effective January 7, 2003, to read:
(1) "Cabinet" means collectively the Attorney General, the Chief Financial Officer, and the Commissioner of Agriculture, as specified in s. 4, Art. IV of the State Constitution.