Section 129.201, Florida Statutes 2001
129.201 Budget of supervisor of elections; manner and time of preparation and presentation.--
(1) Pursuant to s. 129.03(2), each supervisor of elections shall certify to the board of county commissioners, or county budget commission if there is one in the county, a proposed budget of income and expenditures to fulfill the duties, responsibilities, and operation of the office of the supervisor of elections for the ensuing fiscal year of the county. The fiscal year of the supervisor of elections shall commence on October 1 of each year and shall end on September 30 of the following year.
(2)(a) Each expenditure item in the budget for the supervisor of elections shall be itemized generally as follows:
1. Compensation for the supervisor of elections and all other personnel of the office.
2. Operating expenses.
3. Capital outlay.
4. Contingencies and transfers.
(b) To the extent appropriate, the budget shall be further itemized in conformance with the Uniform Accounting System for Local Units of Government in Florida promulgated by rule of the Comptroller of the state.
(3) The supervisor of elections shall furnish to the board of county commissioners or the county budget commission all relevant and pertinent information which such board or commission shall deem necessary.
(4) The board or commission, as the case may be, may require the supervisor of elections to correct mathematical, mechanical, factual, and clerical errors and errors of form in the proposed budget. At the hearings held pursuant to s. 200.065, the board or commission may amend, modify, increase, or reduce any or all items of expenditure in the proposed budget; and, as amended, modified, increased, or reduced, such budget shall be approved by the board or commission, giving written notice of its action to specific items amended, modified, increased, or reduced.
(5) The board or commission shall include in the county budget the items of proposed expenditures as set forth in the budget required by this section to be submitted, after the budget has been reviewed and approved. The board or commission shall include the supervisor of elections' reserve for contingencies provided herein in the reserve for contingencies account in the general county budget.
(6) The reserve for contingencies in the budget of a supervisor of elections shall be governed by the same provisions governing the amount and use of the reserve for contingencies appropriated in the county budget.
(7) The proposed budget shall be submitted to the board of county commissioners or county budget commission pursuant to s. 129.03(2), and the budget shall be included by the board or commission in the general county budget.
(8) The items placed in the budget of the board pursuant to this act shall be subject to the same provisions of law as the county annual budget; however, no amendment may be made to the appropriations of the office of the supervisor of elections without due notice of the change to the supervisor of elections.
(9) The budget of the supervisor of elections may be increased by the board of county commissioners to cover such expenses for emergencies and unanticipated expenses as are recommended and justified by the supervisor of elections.
History.--s. 1, ch. 82-202; s. 2, ch. 83-204; s. 38, ch. 83-217.