Section 215.28, Florida Statutes 2009
215.28 United States securities, purchase by state and county officers and employees; deductions from salary.--
(1) Upon the request in writing, signed by any officer or employee of the state, or of any county, of any other political subdivision or subordinate agency of the state or any county, or of the judicial branch, any officer or employee who acts as disbursing agent for the payment of salaries and wages is authorized and empowered to deduct from the salary or wages of such officer or employee, periodically, such sum as authorized by such written application, for the purchase of United States securities.
(2) The participation in such payroll deduction plan by any officer or employee shall be entirely voluntary at all times, and any officer or employee may from time to time increase or decrease the amount to be so deducted, or cancel his or her payroll deduction authorization, or change the form of registration for securities to be purchased.
(3) All deductions so made by any such disbursing authority shall be deposited in a trust account separate and apart from the funds of the state, county, or subordinate agency. Such account will be subject to withdrawal only for the purchase of United States securities on behalf of officers and employees, or for refunds to such persons in accordance with the provisions of this law. Whenever the sum of $18.75 or the purchase price of the security requested to be purchased is accumulated from deductions so made from the salaries or wages of an officer or employee, such disbursing agent shall arrange the purchase of the bond or security applied for and have it registered in the name or names requested in the deduction authorization. Securities so purchased will be delivered in such manner as may be convenient for the issuing agent and the purchaser. Any interest earned on moneys in such account while awaiting the accumulation of the purchase price of the security shall be transferred to the Florida Retirement System Trust Fund as reimbursement for administrative costs incurred by the Department of Management Services under this section.
(4) Upon request, the disbursing agent will advise the officer or employee of the amount accumulated in his or her account for the purchase of United States securities. A periodic statement showing amounts accumulated to the credit of the officer or employee need not be issued.
(5) When an officer or employee leaves the service of the state, county, or subordinate governmental agency, the payroll deduction authorization will be canceled automatically and any amount credited to the officer or employee's account shall immediately be refunded and paid to the officer or employee entitled to receive the same. In case of the death of the officer or employee, the payroll deduction authorization will be canceled automatically and any amount to the credit of the officer or employee's account will be paid immediately to the surviving spouse, children, or parents of the officer or employee, according to and as provided by ss. 222.15 and 222.16.
(6) The disbursing agent is authorized to promulgate such reasonable rules and regulations with reference to the handling of such payroll deduction plan as will promote the purposes thereof and as will most conveniently meet the facilities of the office of such disbursing agent.
History.--ss. 1-6, ch. 21794, 1943; s. 1, ch. 84-124; s. 11, ch. 92-142; s. 1145, ch. 95-147; s. 71, ch. 99-255.