Section 282.111, Florida Statutes 2004
282.111 Statewide system of regional law enforcement communications.--
(1) It is the intent and purpose of the Legislature that a statewide system of regional law enforcement communications be developed whereby maximum efficiency in the use of existing radio channels is achieved in order to deal more effectively with the apprehension of criminals and the prevention of crime generally. To this end, all law enforcement agencies within the state are directed to provide the State Technology Office with any information the office requests for the purpose of implementing the provisions of subsection (2).
(2) The State Technology Office is hereby authorized and directed to develop and maintain a statewide system of regional law enforcement communications. In formulating such a system, the office shall divide the state into appropriate regions and shall develop a program which shall include, but not be limited to, the following provisions:
(a) The communications requirements for each county and municipality comprising the region.
(b) An interagency communications provision which shall depict the communication interfaces between municipal, county, and state law enforcement entities which operate within the region.
(c) Frequency allocation and use provision which shall include, on an entity basis, each assigned and planned radio channel and the type of operation, simplex, duplex, or half-duplex, on each channel.
(3) The office shall adopt any necessary rules and regulations for implementing and coordinating the statewide system of regional law enforcement communications.
(4) The Chief Information Officer of the State Technology Office or his or her designee is designated as the director of the statewide system of regional law enforcement communications and, for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this section, is authorized to coordinate the activities of the system with other interested state agencies and local law enforcement agencies.
(5) No law enforcement communications system shall be established or present system expanded without the prior approval of the State Technology Office.
(6) Within the limits of its capability, the Department of Law Enforcement is encouraged to lend assistance to the State Technology Office in the development of the statewide system of regional law enforcement communications proposed by this section.
History.--ss. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ch. 72-296; s. 1, ch. 77-174; s. 12, ch. 79-8; s. 225, ch. 92-279; s. 55, ch. 92-326; s. 11, ch. 96-388; s. 15, ch. 96-390; s. 7, ch. 98-251; s. 70, ch. 98-279; s. 42, ch. 99-399; s. 12, ch. 2000-164; s. 17, ch. 2001-261.
Note.--Former s. 287.29.