Section 322.16, Florida Statutes 2009
322.16 License restrictions.--
(1)(a) The department, upon issuing a driver's license, may, whenever good cause appears, impose restrictions suitable to the licensee's driving ability with respect to the type of special mechanical control devices required on a motor vehicle that the licensee may operate, including, but not limited to, restricting the licensee to operating only vehicles equipped with air brakes, or imposing upon the licensee such other restrictions as the department determines are appropriate to assure the safe operation of a motor vehicle by the licensee.
(b) The department may further impose other suitable restrictions on use of the license with respect to time and purpose of use, including, but not limited to, a restriction providing for intrastate operation only, or may impose any other condition or restriction that the department considers necessary for driver improvement, safety, or control of drivers in this state.
(c) The department may further, at any time, impose other restrictions on the use of the license with respect to time and purpose of use or may impose any other condition or restriction upon recommendation of any court, of the Parole Commission, or of the Department of Corrections with respect to any individual who is under the jurisdiction, supervision, or control of the entity that made the recommendation.
(d) The department may impose a restriction upon the use of the license requiring that the licensee wear a medical identification bracelet when operating a motor vehicle. Medical identification bracelet restrictions must be coded on the license of the restricted operator. There is no penalty for violating this paragraph.
(2) A person who holds a driver's license and who is under 17 years of age, when operating a motor vehicle after 11 p.m. and before 6 a.m., must be accompanied by a driver who holds a valid license to operate the type of vehicle being operated and is at least 21 years of age unless that person is driving directly to or from work.
(3) A person who holds a driver's license who is 17 years of age, when operating a motor vehicle after 1 a.m. and before 5 a.m., must be accompanied by a driver who holds a valid license to operate the type of vehicle being operated, and is at least 21 years of age unless that person is driving directly to or from work.
(4) The department may, upon receiving satisfactory evidence of any violation of the restriction upon such a license, except a violation of paragraph (1)(d), subsection (2), or subsection (3), suspend or revoke the license, but the licensee is entitled to a hearing as upon a suspension or revocation under this chapter.
(5) It is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, for any person to operate a motor vehicle in any manner in violation of the restrictions imposed in a license issued to him or her except for a violation of paragraph (1)(d), subsection (2), or subsection (3).
(6) Any person who operates a motor vehicle in violation of the restrictions imposed in subsection (2) or subsection (3) will be charged with a moving violation and fined in accordance with chapter 318.
History.--s. 28, ch. 19551, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 4151(642), 8135(58); s. 28, ch. 20451, 1941; s. 1, ch. 29683, 1955; s. 1, ch. 57-757; s. 1, ch. 59-432; s. 2, ch. 67-174; s. 1, ch. 67-265; s. 1, ch. 69-81; s. 209, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 71-144; s. 5, ch. 77-120; s. 14, ch. 77-121; s. 16, ch. 78-394; s. 10, ch. 79-3; s. 1, ch. 82-132; s. 1, ch. 85-121; s. 12, ch. 85-309; s. 20, ch. 87-161; s. 36, ch. 88-122; s. 5, ch. 88-405; s. 5, ch. 88-410; ss. 4, 7, ch. 89-112; s. 10, ch. 89-282; ss. 3, 4, ch. 93-144; s. 407, ch. 95-148; s. 4, ch. 96-414; s. 22, ch. 97-300.