Section 331.303, Florida Statutes 2001
(1) "Authority" means the Spaceport Florida Authority created by this act.
(2) "Board" or "board of supervisors" means the governing body of the authority.
(3) "Bonds" means revenue bonds, assessment bonds, or other bonds or obligations issued by the authority for the purpose of raising financing for its projects.
(4) "Business client" means any person, other than a state official or state employee, who receives the services of, or is the subject of solicitation by, representatives of the authority in connection with the performance of its statutory duties, including purchasers or prospective purchasers of authority services, persons or representatives of firms considering or being solicited for investment in authority projects, persons or representatives of firms considering or being solicited for location, relocation, or expansion of a space-related business within the state, and business, financial, or other persons connected with the space industry.
(5) "Complementary activity" means any space business incubator, space tourism activity, educational involvement in an incubator, or space tourism and space-related research and development.
(6) "Conduit bond" means any bond of the authority which is a nonrecourse obligation of the authority payable from the proceeds of such bonds and related financing agreements.
(7) "Cost" means all costs, fees, charges, expenses, and amounts associated with the development of projects by the authority.
(8) "Entertainment expenses" means the actual, necessary, and reasonable costs of providing hospitality for business clients or guests, which costs are defined and prescribed by rules adopted by the authority, subject to approval by the Comptroller.
(9) "Federal aid" means any property, funding, or other financial assistance provided by the Federal Government to the authority for its projects.
(10) "Financing agreement" means a lease, lease-purchase agreement, lease with option to purchase, sale or installment sale agreement, whether title passes in whole or in part at any time prior to, at, or after completion of the project, loan agreement, or other agreement forming the basis for the financing under this act, including any agreements, guarantees, or security instruments forming part of or related to providing assurance of payment of the obligations under such financing agreement.
(11) "Guest" means a person, other than a state official or state employee, authorized by the board or its designee to receive the hospitality of the authority in connection with the performance of its statutory duties.
(12) "Landing area" means the geographical area designated by the authority within the spaceport territory for or intended for the landing and surface maneuvering of any launch or other space vehicle.
(13) "Launch pad" means any launch pad used by the spaceport or spaceport user for launching of space vehicles.
(14) "Payload" means any property or cargo to be transported aboard any vehicle launched by or from the spaceport.
(15) "Person" means any individual, child, university, firm, association, joint venture, partnership, estate, trust, business trust, syndicate, fiduciary, corporation, nation, government (federal, state, or local), agency (government or other), subdivision of the state, municipality, county, business entity, or any other group or combination.
(16) "Project" means any development, improvement, property, launch, utility, facility, system, works, road, sidewalk, enterprise, service, or convenience, which may include coordination with Enterprise Florida, Inc., the Board of Regents, and the Space Research Foundation; any rocket, capsule, module, launch facility, assembly facility, operations or control facility, tracking facility, administrative facility, or any other type of space-related transportation vehicle, station, or facility; any type of equipment or instrument to be used or useful in connection with any of the foregoing; any type of intellectual property and intellectual property protection in connection with any of the foregoing including, without limitation, any patent, copyright, trademark, and service mark for, among other things, computer software; any water, wastewater, gas, or electric utility system, plant, or distribution or collection system; any small business incubator initiative, including any startup aerospace company, research and development company, research and development facility, storage facility, and consulting service; or any tourism initiative, including any space experience attraction, space-launch-related activity, and space museum sponsored or promoted by the authority.
(17) "Range" means the geographical area designated by the authority or other appropriate body as the area for the launching of rockets, missiles, launch vehicles, and other vehicles designed to reach high altitude.
(18) "Recovery" means the recovery of space vehicles and payloads which have been launched from or by the spaceport.
(19) "Spaceport" means any area of land or water, or any manmade object or facility located therein, developed by the authority under this act, which area is intended for public use or for the launching, takeoff, and landing of spacecraft and aircraft, and includes any appurtenant areas which are used or intended for public use, for spaceport buildings, or for other spaceport facilities, spaceport projects, or rights-of-way.
(20) "Spaceport launch facilities" shall be defined as industrial facilities in accordance with s. 380.0651(3)(c) and include any launch pad, launch control center, and fixed launch-support equipment.
(21) "Spaceport system" means the programs, organizations, and infrastructure developed by the authority for the development of facilities or activities to enhance and provide commercial space-related development opportunities for business, education, and government within the state.
(22) "Spaceport territory" means the geographical area designated in s. 331.304 and as amended or changed in accordance with s. 331.329.
(23) "Spaceport user" means any person who uses the facilities or services of any spaceport; and, for the purposes of any exemptions or rights granted under this act, said spaceport user shall be deemed a spaceport user only during the time period in which such person has in effect a contract, memorandum of understanding, or agreement with the spaceport, and such rights and exemptions shall be granted with respect to transactions relating only to spaceport projects.
(24) "Travel expenses" means the actual, necessary, and reasonable costs of transportation, meals, lodging, and incidental expenses normally incurred by a traveler, which costs are defined and prescribed by rules adopted by the authority, subject to approval by the Comptroller.
(25) "Spaceport discretionary capacity improvement projects" means capacity improvements that enhance space transportation capacity at spaceports that have had one or more orbital or suborbital flights during the previous calendar year or have an agreement in writing for installation of one or more regularly scheduled orbital or suborbital flights upon the commitment of funds for stipulated spaceport capital improvements.
History.--ss. 3, 61, ch. 89-300; ss. 7, 8, ch. 90-192; s. 1, ch. 90-361; s. 2, ch. 91-265; s. 116, ch. 99-13; s. 2, ch. 99-256; s. 72, ch. 99-385.