Section 372.5717, Florida Statutes 2001
372.5717 Hunter safety course; requirements; penalty.--
(1) This section may be cited as the Senator Joe Carlucci Hunter Safety Act.
(2) A person born on or after June 1, 1975, may not be issued a license to take wild animal life with the use of a firearm, gun, bow, or crossbow in this state without having first successfully completed a hunter safety course as provided in this section, and without having in his or her personal possession a hunter safety certification card, as provided in this section.
(3) The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission shall institute and coordinate a statewide hunter safety course which must be offered in every county and consist of not less than 12 hours nor more than 16 hours of instruction including, but not limited to, instruction in the competent and safe handling of firearms, conservation, and hunting ethics.
(4) The commission shall issue a permanent hunter safety certification card to each person who successfully completes the hunter safety course. The commission shall maintain permanent records of hunter safety certification cards issued and shall establish procedures for replacing lost or destroyed cards.
(5) A hunter safety certification card issued by a wildlife agency of another state, or any Canadian province, which shows that the holder of the card has successfully completed a hunter safety course approved by the commission is an acceptable substitute for the hunter safety certification card issued by the commission.
(6) All persons subject to the requirements of subsection (2) must have in their personal possession, proof of compliance with this section, while taking or attempting to take wildlife with the use of a firearm, gun, bow, or crossbow and must display a valid hunter safety certification card to county tax collectors or their subagents in order to purchase a Florida hunting license. After the issuance of a license, the license itself shall serve as proof of compliance with this section. A holder of a lifetime license whose license does not indicate on the face of the license that a hunter safety course has been completed must have in his or her personal possession a hunter safety certification card, as provided by this section, while attempting to take wild animal life with the use of a firearm, gun, bow, or crossbow.
(7) The hunter safety requirements of this section do not apply to persons for whom licenses are not required under s. 372.57(1).
(8) A person who violates this section shall be cited for a noncriminal infraction, punishable as provided in s. 372.711.
History.--s. 1, ch. 89-274; s. 4, ch. 91-58; s. 15, ch. 91-78; s. 53, ch. 91-224; s. 577, ch. 95-148; s. 1, ch. 96-193; s. 136, ch. 99-245.