Section 381.0034, Florida Statutes 2009
381.0034 Requirement for instruction on HIV and AIDS.--
(1) As of July 1, 1991, the Department of Health shall require each person licensed or certified under chapter 401, chapter 467, part IV of chapter 468, or chapter 483, as a condition of biennial relicensure, to complete an educational course approved by the department on the modes of transmission, infection control procedures, clinical management, and prevention of human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Such course shall include information on current Florida law on acquired immune deficiency syndrome and its impact on testing, confidentiality of test results, and treatment of patients. Each such licensee or certificateholder shall submit confirmation of having completed said course, on a form provided by the department, when submitting fees or application for each biennial renewal.
(2) Failure to complete the requirements of this section shall be grounds for disciplinary action contained in the chapters specified in subsection (1). In addition to discipline by the department, the licensee or certificateholder shall be required to complete said course.
(3) The department shall require, as a condition of granting a license under the chapters specified in subsection (1), that an applicant making initial application for licensure complete an educational course acceptable to the department on human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome. An applicant who has not taken a course at the time of licensure shall, upon an affidavit showing good cause, be allowed 6 months to complete this requirement.
(4) The department shall have the authority to adopt rules to carry out the provisions of this section.
(5) Any professional holding two or more licenses or certificates subject to the provisions of this section shall be permitted to show proof of having taken one department-approved course on human immunodeficiency virus and acquired immune deficiency syndrome, for purposes of relicensure or recertification for the additional licenses.
History.--s. 68, ch. 91-297; s. 40, ch. 95-196; s. 31, ch. 97-101.