Section 394.908, Florida Statutes 2008
394.908 Substance abuse and mental health funding equity; distribution of appropriations.--In recognition of the historical inequity in the funding of substance abuse and mental health services for the department's districts and regions and to rectify this inequity and provide for equitable funding in the future throughout the state, the following funding process shall be used:
(1) Funding thresholds for substance abuse and mental health services in each of the current districts, statewide, shall be established based on the current number of persons in need per district of substance abuse and mental health services, respectively.
(2) "Persons in need" means those persons who fit the profile of the respective target populations and require mental health or substance abuse services.
1(3)(a) Any additional funding beyond the 2005-2006 fiscal year base appropriation for alcohol, drug abuse, and mental health services shall be allocated to districts for substance abuse and mental health services based on:
1. Epidemiological estimates of disabilities that apply to the respective target populations.
2. A pro rata share distribution that ensures districts below the statewide average funding level per person in each target population of "persons in need" receive funding necessary to achieve equity.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) and for the 2008-2009 fiscal year only, funds appropriated for forensic mental health treatment services shall be allocated to the areas of the state having the greatest demand for services and treatment capacity. This paragraph expires July 1, 2009.
(c) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) and for the 2008-2009 fiscal year only, additional funds appropriated for mental health services from funds available through the Community-Based Medicaid Administrative Claiming Program shall be allocated as provided in the 2008-2009 General Appropriations Act and in proportion to contributed provider earnings. Where these mental health funds are used in lieu of funds from the General Revenue Fund, the allocation of funds shall be unchanged from the allocation for those funds for the 2007-2008 fiscal year. This paragraph expires July 1, 2009.
(4) Target populations for persons in need shall be displayed for each district and distributed concurrently with the approved operating budget. The display by target population shall show: The annual number of persons served based on prior year actual numbers, the annual cost per person served, and the estimated number of the total target population for persons in need.
(5) The annual cost per person served shall be defined as the total actual funding for each target population divided by the number of persons served in the target population for that year.
History.--s. 1, ch. 97-195; s. 16, ch. 2000-349; ss. 16, 53, ch. 2001-254; s. 3, ch. 2002-397; s. 28, ch. 2003-399; s. 8, ch. 2004-269; s. 11, ch. 2006-2; s. 2, ch. 2006-29; s. 3, ch. 2008-153.
1Note.--Section 3, ch. 2008-153, amended subsection (3) "[i]n order to implement Specific Appropriations 376 through 415 of the 2008-2009 General Appropriations Act."