Section 400.062, Florida Statutes 2003
400.062 License required; fee; disposition; display; transfer.--
(1) It is unlawful to operate or maintain a facility without first obtaining from the agency a license authorizing such operation.
(2) Separate licenses shall be required for facilities maintained in separate premises, even though operated under the same management. However, a separate license shall not be required for separate buildings on the same grounds.
(3) The annual license fee required for each license issued under this part shall be comprised of two parts. Part I of the license fee shall be the basic license fee. The rate per bed for the basic license fee shall be established annually and shall be $50 per bed. The agency may adjust the per bed licensure fees by the Consumer Price Index based on the 12 months immediately preceding the increase to cover the cost of regulation under this part. Part II of the license fee shall be the resident protection fee, which shall be at the rate of not less than 25 cents per bed. The rate per bed shall be the minimum rate per bed, and such rate shall remain in effect until the effective date of a rate per bed adopted by rule by the agency pursuant to this part. At such time as the amount on deposit in the Resident Protection Trust Fund is less than $1 million, the agency may adopt rules to establish a rate which may not exceed $10 per bed. The rate per bed shall revert back to the minimum rate per bed when the amount on deposit in the Resident Protection Trust Fund reaches $1 million, except that any rate established by rule shall remain in effect until such time as the rate has been equally required for each license issued under this part. Any amount in the fund in excess of $2 million shall revert to the Health Care Trust Fund and may not be expended without prior approval of the Legislature. The agency may prorate the annual license fee for those licenses which it issues under this part for less than 1 year. Funds generated by license fees collected in accordance with this section shall be deposited in the following manner:
(a) The basic license fee collected shall be deposited in the Health Care Trust Fund, established for the sole purpose of carrying out this part. When the balance of the account established in the Health Care Trust Fund for the deposit of fees collected as authorized under this section exceeds one-third of the annual cost of regulation under this part, the excess shall be used to reduce the licensure fees in the next year.
(b) The resident protection fee collected shall be deposited in the Resident Protection Trust Fund for the sole purpose of paying, in accordance with the provisions of s. 400.063, for the appropriate alternate placement, care, and treatment of a resident removed from a nursing home facility on a temporary, emergency basis or for the maintenance and care of residents in a nursing home facility pending removal and alternate placement.
(4) Counties or municipalities applying for licenses under this part are exempt from license fees authorized under this section.
(5) The license shall be displayed in a conspicuous place inside the facility.
(6) A license shall be valid only in the hands of the individual, firm, partnership, association, or corporation to whom it is issued and shall not be subject to sale, assignment, or other transfer, voluntary or involuntary, nor shall a license be valid for any premises other than those for which originally issued.
History.--s. 5, ch. 70-361; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 235, ch. 77-147; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 9, ch. 79-268; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 1, 19, ch. 82-148; ss. 9, 79, 83, ch. 83-181; s. 8, ch. 91-282; s. 30, ch. 93-177; ss. 8, 49, ch. 93-217; s. 14, ch. 2001-45.