Section 400.431, Florida Statutes 2004
400.431 Closing of facility; notice; penalty.--
(1) Whenever a facility voluntarily discontinues operation, it shall inform the agency in writing at least 90 days prior to the discontinuance of operation. The facility shall also inform each resident or the next of kin, legal representative, or agency acting on each resident's behalf, of the fact and the proposed time of such discontinuance, following the notification requirements provided in s. 400.428(1)(k). In the event a resident has no person to represent him or her, the facility shall be responsible for referral to an appropriate social service agency for placement.
(2) Immediately upon the notice by the agency of the voluntary or involuntary termination of such operation, the agency shall monitor the transfer of residents to other facilities and ensure that residents' rights are being protected. The department, in consultation with the Department of Children and Family Services, shall specify procedures for ensuring that all residents who receive services are appropriately relocated.
(3) All charges shall be prorated as of the date on which the facility discontinues operation, and if any payments have been made in advance, the payments for services not received shall be refunded to the resident or the resident's guardian within 10 working days of voluntary or involuntary closure of the facility, whether or not such refund is requested by the resident or guardian.
(4) Immediately upon discontinuance of the operation of a facility, the owner shall surrender the license therefor to the agency, and the license shall be canceled.
(5) The agency may levy a fine in an amount no greater than $5,000 upon each person or business entity that owns any interest in a facility that terminates operation without providing notice to the agency and the residents of the facility at least 30 days before operation ceases. This fine shall not be levied against any facility involuntarily closed at the initiation of the agency. The agency shall use the proceeds of the fines to operate the facility until all residents of the facility are relocated and shall deposit any balance of the proceeds into the Health Care Trust Fund established pursuant to s. 400.418.
History.--s. 13, ch. 75-233; ss. 12, 25, ch. 80-198; s. 2, ch. 81-318; ss. 57, 79, 83, ch. 83-181; s. 20, ch. 91-263; ss. 25, 38, 39, ch. 93-216; s. 780, ch. 95-148; s. 50, ch. 95-418; s. 123, ch. 99-8.