Section 400.447, Florida Statutes 2004
400.447 Prohibited acts; penalties for violation.--
(1) It is unlawful for any person or public body to offer or advertise to the public, in any way by any medium whatever, personal services as defined in this act, without obtaining a valid current license. It is unlawful for any holder of a license issued pursuant to the provisions of this act to advertise or hold out to the public that it holds a license for a facility other than that for which it actually holds a license.
(2) It is unlawful for any holder of a license issued pursuant to the provisions of this act to withhold from the agency any evidence of financial instability, including, but not limited to, bad checks, delinquent accounts, nonpayment of withholding taxes, unpaid utility expenses, nonpayment for essential services, or adverse court action concerning the financial viability of the facility or any other facility licensed under part II or part III of this chapter which is owned by the licensee.
(3) Any person found guilty of violating subsection (1) or subsection (2) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.083. Each day of continuing violation shall be considered a separate offense.
(4) While a facility is under construction, the owner may advertise to the public prior to obtaining a license. Facilities that are certified under chapter 651 shall comply with the advertising provisions of s. 651.095 rather than those provided for in this subsection.
(5) A freestanding facility shall not advertise or imply that any part of it is a nursing home. For the purpose of this subsection, "freestanding facility" means a facility that is not operated in conjunction with a nursing home to which residents of the facility are given priority when nursing care is required. A person who violates this subsection is subject to fine as specified in s. 400.419.
(6) Any facility which is affiliated with any religious organization or which has a name implying religious affiliation shall include in its advertising whether or not it is affiliated with any religious organization and, if so, which organization.
(7) A facility licensed under this part which is not part of a facility authorized under chapter 651 shall include the facility's license number as given by the agency in all advertising. A company or person owning more than one facility shall include at least one license number per advertisement. All advertising shall include the term "assisted living facility" before the license number.
History.--s. 18, ch. 75-233; s. 2, ch. 81-318; ss. 79, 83, ch. 83-181; s. 14, ch. 87-371; s. 25, ch. 91-263; ss. 32, 38, 39, ch. 93-216; s. 18, ch. 95-210; s. 217, ch. 99-13.