Section 456.004, Florida Statutes 2008
456.004 Department; powers and duties.--The department, for the professions under its jurisdiction, shall:
(1) Adopt rules establishing a procedure for the biennial renewal of licenses; however, the department may issue up to a 4-year license to selected licensees notwithstanding any other provisions of law to the contrary. The rules shall specify the expiration dates of licenses and the process for tracking compliance with continuing education requirements, financial responsibility requirements, and any other conditions of renewal set forth in statute or rule. Fees for such renewal shall not exceed the fee caps for individual professions on an annualized basis as authorized by law.
(2) Appoint the executive director of each board, subject to the approval of the board.
(3) Submit an annual budget to the Legislature at a time and in the manner provided by law.
(4) Develop a training program for persons newly appointed to membership on any board. The program shall familiarize such persons with the substantive and procedural laws and rules and fiscal information relating to the regulation of the appropriate profession and with the structure of the department.
(5) Adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54 to implement the provisions of this chapter.
(6) Establish by rules procedures by which the department shall use the expert or technical advice of the appropriate board for the purposes of investigation, inspection, evaluation of applications, other duties of the department, or any other areas the department may deem appropriate.
(7) Require all proceedings of any board or panel thereof and all formal or informal proceedings conducted by the department, an administrative law judge, or a hearing officer with respect to licensing or discipline to be electronically recorded in a manner sufficient to assure the accurate transcription of all matters so recorded.
(8) Select only those investigators, or consultants who undertake investigations, who meet criteria established with the advice of the respective boards.
(9) Work cooperatively with the Department of Revenue to establish an automated method for periodically disclosing information relating to current licensees to the Department of Revenue, the state's Title IV-D agency. The purpose of this subsection is to promote the public policy of this state relating to child support as established in s. 409.2551. The department shall, when directed by the court or the Department of Revenue pursuant to s. 409.2598, suspend or deny the license of any licensee found not to be in compliance with a support order, a subpoena, an order to show cause, or a written agreement with the Department of Revenue. The department shall issue or reinstate the license without additional charge to the licensee when notified by the court or the Department of Revenue that the licensee has complied with the terms of the support order. The department is not liable for any license denial or suspension resulting from the discharge of its duties under this subsection.
(10) Set an examination fee that includes all costs to develop, purchase, validate, administer, and defend the examination and is an amount certain to cover all administrative costs plus the actual per-applicant cost of the examination.
History.--s. 39, ch. 97-261; s. 118, ch. 98-200; s. 74, ch. 99-397; s. 39, ch. 2000-160; s. 52, ch. 2001-158; s. 5, ch. 2001-277; s. 6, ch. 2008-92.
Note.--Former s. 455.521.