Section 476.144, Florida Statutes 2008
(1) The department shall license any applicant who the board certifies is qualified to practice barbering in this state.
(2) The board shall certify for licensure any applicant who satisfies the requirements of s. 476.114, and who passes the required examination, achieving a passing grade as established by board rule.
(3) Upon an applicant passing the examination and paying the initial licensing fee, the department shall issue a license.
(4) The department shall keep a record relating to the issuance, refusal, and renewal of licenses. Such record shall contain the name, place of business, and residence of each licensed barber and the date and number of her or his license.
(5) The board shall adopt rules specifying procedures for the licensure by endorsement of practitioners desiring to be licensed in this state who hold a current active license in another state or country and who have met qualifications substantially similar to, equivalent to, or greater than the qualifications required of applicants from this state.
(6) A person may apply for a restricted license to practice barbering. The board shall adopt rules specifying procedures for an applicant to obtain a restricted license if the applicant:
(a)1. Has successfully completed a restricted barber course, as established by rule of the board, at a school of barbering licensed pursuant to chapter 1005, a barbering program within the public school system, or a government-operated barbering program in this state; or
2.a. Holds or has within the previous 5 years held an active valid license to practice barbering in another state or country or has held a Florida barbering license which has been declared null and void for failure to renew the license, and the applicant fulfilled the requirements of s. 476.114(2)(c)2. for initial licensure; and
b. Has not been disciplined relating to the practice of barbering in the previous 5 years; and
(b) Passes a written examination on the laws and rules governing the practice of barbering in Florida, as established by the board, and a practical examination approved by the board.
The restricted license shall limit the licensee's practice to those specific areas in which the applicant has demonstrated competence pursuant to rules adopted by the board.
(7) Pending results of the first licensing examination taken and upon submission of an application for licensure that includes proof of successful completion of the educational requirements specified in this chapter and payment of the applicable licensure fees, a person is eligible to practice as a barber, provided such person practices under the supervision of a licensed barber in a licensed barbershop. A person who fails the examination may continue to practice under the supervision of a licensed barber in a licensed barbershop, provided the person applies for the next available examination, and may continue such practice until receipt of the results of that second examination are received by the person. No person may continue to practice as a barber under this subsection upon failure to pass the examination on the second attempt.
History.--ss. 13, 28, ch. 78-155; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 8, 19, 20, ch. 85-297; s. 2, ch. 87-390; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 154, ch. 92-149; s. 398, ch. 97-103; s. 4, ch. 98-323; s. 1019, ch. 2002-387.