Section 520.31, Florida Statutes 2001
520.31 Definitions.--Unless otherwise clearly indicated by the context, the following words when used in this act, for the purposes of this act, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section:
(1) "Branch" means any location, other than a licensee's principal place of business, at which a licensee operates or conducts business under this act or which a licensee owns or controls for the purpose of conducting business under this act.
(2) "Cash price" means the price at which the seller, in the ordinary course of business, offers to sell for cash the property or service that is the subject of the transaction. At the seller's option, the term "cash price" may include the price of accessories, services related to the sale, service contracts, and taxes. The term "cash price" does not include any finance charge.
(3) "Department" means the Department of Banking and Finance.
(4) "Down payment" means the amount, including the value of any property used as a trade-in, paid to a seller to reduce the cash price of goods or services purchased in a credit sale transaction. A deferred portion of a down payment may be treated as part of the down payment if it is payable not later than the due date of the second otherwise regularly scheduled payment and is not subject to a finance charge.
(5) "Finance charge" means the cost of consumer credit as a dollar amount. The term "finance charge" includes any charge payable directly or indirectly by the buyer and imposed directly or indirectly by the seller as an incident to or a condition of the extension of credit. The term "finance charge" does not include any charge of a type payable in a comparable cash transaction.
(6) "Goods" means all personalty when purchased primarily for personal, family, or household use, including certificates or coupons issued by a retail seller exchangeable for personalty or services, but not including other choses in action, personalty sold for commercial or industrial use, money, motor vehicles or construction, mining, or quarrying equipment. The term "goods" includes such personalty which is furnished or used, at the time of sale or subsequently, in the modernization, rehabilitation, repair, alteration, improvement, or construction of real property as to become a part thereof, whether or not severable therefrom.
(7) "Holder" means the retail seller or an assignee of the retail seller.
(8) "Motor vehicle" means any device or vehicle operated over the public highways and streets of this state and propelled by other than muscular power, but does not include traction engines, road rollers, implements of husbandry and other agricultural equipment, and such vehicles as run only upon a track.
(9) "Official fees" means fees and charges prescribed by law which actually are or will be paid to public officials for determining the existence of, or for perfecting, releasing, or satisfying, any security related to the credit transaction or the premium payable for any insurance in lieu of perfecting any security interest otherwise required by the creditor in connection with the transaction, if the premium does not exceed the fees and charges which would otherwise be payable to public officials.
(10) "Principal place of business" means the physical location designated on the licensee's application for licensure, unless otherwise designated as required by this chapter.
(11) "Retail buyer" or "buyer" means a person who buys goods or obtains services from a retail seller in a retail installment transaction and not principally for the purpose of resale.
(12) "Retail installment contract" or "contract" means an instrument or instruments reflecting one or more retail installment transactions entered into in this state pursuant to which goods or services may be paid for in installments. It does not include a revolving account or an instrument reflecting a sale pursuant thereto.
(13) "Retail installment transaction" or "transaction" means a contract to sell or furnish or the sale of or the furnishing of goods or services by a retail seller to a retail buyer pursuant to a retail installment contract or a revolving account.
(14) "Retail seller" or "seller" means a person regularly engaged in, and whose business consists to a substantial extent of, selling goods to a retail buyer. The term also includes a seller who regularly grants credit to retail buyers pursuant to a retail installment contract or a revolving account for the purpose of purchasing goods or services from any other person.
(15) "Revolving account" or "account" means an instrument or instruments prescribing the terms of retail installment transactions which may be made thereafter from time to time pursuant thereto, under which the buyer's total unpaid balance thereunder, whenever incurred, is payable in installments over a period of time and under the terms of which a finance charge is to be computed in relation to the buyer's unpaid balance from time to time.
(16) "Sales finance company" means a person engaged in the business of purchasing retail installment contracts from one or more retail sellers. The term includes, but is not limited to, a bank or trust company, if so engaged. The term does not include the pledgee of an aggregate number of such contracts to secure a bona fide loan thereon.
(17) "Services" means work, labor, or other personal services furnished for personal, family, or household use, including but not limited to the delivery, installation, servicing, repair, or improvement of goods, and includes such work or labor furnished in connection with the modernization, rehabilitation, repair, alteration, improvement, or construction upon or in connection with real property.
History.--s. 2, ch. 59-414; s. 1, ch. 61-398; s. 1, ch. 63-547; ss. 12, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 7, ch. 69-370; s. 199, ch. 71-377; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; s. 21, ch. 80-256; s. 2, ch. 81-318; ss. 1, 2, ch. 82-77; s. 3, ch. 83-123; ss. 10, 35, 36, ch. 90-103; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 10, ch. 99-164.