Section 548.002, Florida Statutes 2008
548.002 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Amateur" means a person who has never received nor competed for any purse or other article of value, either for the expenses of training or for participating in a match, other than a prize of $50 in value or less.
(2) "Amateur sanctioning organization" means any business entity organized for sanctioning and supervising matches involving amateurs.
(3) "Boxing" means to compete with the fists.
(4) "Commission" means the Florida State Boxing Commission.
(5) "Concessionaire" means any person or business entity not licensed as a promoter which receives revenues or other compensation from the sale of tickets or from the sale of souvenirs, programs, broadcast rights, or any other concessions in conjunction with the promotion of a match.
(6) "Contest" means a boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts engagement in which persons participating strive earnestly to win using, but not necessarily being limited to, strikes and blows to the head.
(7) "Department" means the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
(8) "Exhibition" means a boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts engagement in which persons participating show or display their skill without necessarily striving to win using, but not necessarily being limited to, strikes and blows to the head.
(9) "Foreign copromoter" means a promoter who has no place of business within this state.
(10) "Judge" means a person who has a vote in determining the winner of any contest.
(11) "Kickboxing" means to compete with the fists, feet, legs, or any combination thereof, and includes "punchkick" and other similar competitions.
(12) "Manager" means any person who, directly or indirectly, controls or administers the boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts affairs of any participant.
(13) "Match" means any contest or exhibition.
(14) "Matchmaker" means a person who brings together professionals or arranges matches for professionals.
(15) "Mixed martial arts" means unarmed combat involving the use, subject to any applicable limitations set forth in this chapter, of a combination of techniques from different disciplines of the martial arts, including, but not limited to, grappling, kicking, and striking.
(16) "Participant" means a professional competing in a boxing, kickboxing, or mixed martial arts match.
(17) "Physician" means an individual licensed to practice medicine and surgery in this state.
(18) "Professional" means a person who has received or competed for any purse or other article of a value greater than $50, either for the expenses of training or for participating in any match.
(19) "Promoter" means any person, and includes any officer, director, employee, or stockholder of a corporate promoter, who produces, arranges, or stages any match involving a professional.
(20) "Purse" means the financial guarantee or other remuneration for which a professional is participating in a match and includes the professional's share of any payment received for radio broadcasting, television, and motion picture rights.
(21) "Second" or "cornerman" means a person who assists the match participant between rounds and maintains the corner of the participant during the match.
(22) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Business and Professional Regulation.
History.--ss. 2, 4, ch. 84-246; s. 1, ch. 88-365; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 112, ch. 99-251; s. 1, ch. 2002-172; s. 2, ch. 2004-69.