Section 553.37, Florida Statutes 2007
553.37 Rules; inspections; and insignia.--
(1) The Florida Building Commission shall adopt within the Florida Building Code requirements for construction or modification of manufactured buildings and building modules, to address:
(a) Submittal to and approval by the department of manufacturers' drawings and specifications, including any amendments.
(b) Submittal to and approval by the department of manufacturers' internal quality control procedures and manuals, including any amendments.
(c) Procedures and qualifications for approval of third-party plan review and inspection entities and of those who perform inspections and plan reviews.
(d) Investigation of consumer complaints of noncompliance of manufactured buildings with the Florida Building Code and the Florida Fire Prevention Code.
(e) Issuance, cancellation, and revocation of any insignia issued by the department and procedures for auditing and accounting for disposition of them.
(f) Monitoring the manufacturers', inspection entities', and plan review entities' compliance with this part and the Florida Building Code. Monitoring may include, but is not limited to, performing audits of plans, inspections of manufacturing facilities and observation of the manufacturing and inspection process, and onsite inspections of buildings.
(g) The performance by the department of any other functions required by this part.
(2) After the effective date of the Florida Building Code, no manufactured building, except as provided in subsection (11), may be installed in this state unless it is approved and bears the insignia of approval of the department. Approvals issued by the department under the provisions of the prior part shall be deemed to comply with the requirements of this part.
(3) All manufactured buildings issued and bearing insignia of approval pursuant to subsection (2) shall be deemed to comply with the Florida Building Code and are exempt from local amendments enacted by any local government.
(4) No manufactured building bearing department insignia of approval pursuant to subsection (2) shall be in any way modified prior to installation, except in conformance with the Florida Building Code.
(5) Manufactured buildings which have been issued and bear the insignia of approval pursuant to this part upon manufacture or first sale shall not require an additional approval or insignia by a local government in which they are subsequently sold or installed. Buildings or structures that meet the definition of "open construction" are subject to permitting by the local jurisdiction and are not required to bear insignia.
(6) If the Florida Building Commission determines that the standards for construction and inspection of manufactured buildings prescribed by statute or rule of another state are at least equal to the Florida Building Code and that such standards are actually enforced by such other state, it may provide by rule that the manufactured building which has been inspected and approved by such other state shall be deemed to have been approved by the department and shall authorize the affixing of the appropriate insignia of approval.
(7) The Florida Building Commission, by rule, shall establish a schedule of fees to pay the cost incurred by the department for the work related to administration and enforcement of this part.
(8) The department may delegate its enforcement authority to a state department having building construction responsibilities or a local government. The department may delegate its plan review and inspection authority to a state department having building construction responsibilities, a local government, an approved inspection agency, an approved plan review agency, or an agency of another state.
(9) If the commission delegates its inspection authority to third-party approved inspection agencies, manufacturers must have one, and only one, inspection agency responsible for inspection of a manufactured building, module, or component at all times.
(10) If the commission delegates its inspection authority to third-party approved plan review agencies, manufacturers must have one, and only one, plan review agency responsible for review of plans of a manufactured building, module, or component at all times.
(11) Custom or one-of-a-kind prototype manufactured buildings shall not be required to have state approval but must comply with all local requirements of the governmental agency having jurisdiction at the installation site.
History.--s. 3, ch. 71-172; s. 1, ch. 74-208; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 1, 6, ch. 79-152; ss. 1, 4, ch. 80-86; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 1, 3, 4, ch. 84-32; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 1, ch. 98-145; ss. 57, 58, ch. 2000-141; s. 34, ch. 2001-186; s. 3, ch. 2001-372.