Section 599.004, Florida Statutes 2009
599.004 Florida Farm Winery Program; registration; logo; fees.--
(1) The Florida Farm Winery Program is established within the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Under this program, a winery may qualify as a tourist attraction only if it is registered with and certified by the department as a Florida Farm Winery. A winery may not claim to be certified unless it has received written approval from the department.
(a) To qualify as a certified Florida Farm Winery, a winery shall meet the following standards:
1. Produce or sell less than 250,000 gallons of wine annually.
2. Maintain a minimum of 10 acres of owned or managed vineyards in Florida.
3. Be open to the public for tours, tastings, and sales at least 30 hours each week.
4. Make annual application to the department for recognition as a Florida Farm Winery, on forms provided by the department.
5. Pay an annual application and registration fee of $100.
(b) To maintain certification and recognition as a Florida Farm Winery, a winery must comply with the qualifications provided in this section. The Commissioner of Agriculture is authorized to officially recognize a certified Florida Farm Winery as a state tourist attraction.
(2)(a) The department, in coordination with the Viticulture Advisory Council, shall develop and designate by rule a Florida Farm Winery logo, emblem, and directional sign to guide the public to certified Florida Farm Winery tourist attractions. The logo and emblem of certified Florida Farm Winery signs shall be uniform.
(b) Upon the request of a certified Florida Farm Winery, the Department of Transportation shall acquire and place Florida Farm Winery logo, emblem, and directional signs on the rights-of-way of interstate highways and primary and secondary roads. All costs for placing each sign shall be paid by the certified Florida Farm Winery requesting the sign. However, the cost of placing a sign shall not exceed $250 and the annual permit fee shall not exceed $50.
(c) Each certified Florida Farm Winery shall pay to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services a licensing fee of $10 each year for each Florida Farm Winery logo, emblem, and directional sign in place.
(3) All fees collected, except as otherwise provided by this section, shall be deposited into the Viticulture Trust Fund and used to develop consumer information on the native characteristics and proper use of wines.
History.--s. 30, ch. 92-151.