Section 601.13, Florida Statutes 2001
601.13 Citrus research; administration by Department of Citrus; appropriation.--
(1) The administration of this section shall be vested in the Department of Citrus which shall prescribe suitable and reasonable rules and regulations for the proper carrying out of the provisions hereof.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Department of Citrus, and it is empowered:
(a) To conduct or cause to be conducted a thorough and comprehensive study of citrus fruit and the juices thereof
1. With respect to the quality and maturity of said fruit and the juices thereof, including proper effort to assemble data and arrive at a proper standard of quality, grade, and maturity with reference to its texture, stability, and general marketability and so far as possible reduce such findings to specific and readily understood chemical, mathematical, or descriptive terms, and
2. With respect to the nutritional and other value or values of such fruit and the juices thereof
and to provide suitable facilities and equipment of every kind whatsoever proper and necessary in connection with all such work.
(b) To conduct or cause to be conducted such study and research as is necessary to provide all the information and data required to be disseminated pursuant to the provisions of this section.
(c) To provide suitable and sufficient laboratory facilities and equipment, making use of the laboratory facilities and equipment of the University of Florida, insofar as it is practicable for the purpose of conducting thorough and comprehensive study and research to determine all possible new and further uses for citrus fruit and citrus fruit juices and the products and byproducts into which the same can be converted or manufactured, as well as to determine and develop new and profitable methods and instruments of distribution thereof.
(d) To carry on, or cause to be carried on, suitable experiments in an effort to prove the commercial value of each, and determine and develop new and further use for citrus fruit and citrus fruit juices or the products and byproducts into which the same can be converted or manufactured.
(e) To carry on or cause to be carried on suitable experiments in an effort to prove the commercial value of any and all new profitable methods and instruments of distribution of citrus fruit and citrus fruit juices and the products and byproducts into which the same can be converted or manufactured.
(f) To carry on or cause to be carried on an economic and marketing research program relating to citrus fruits, products or byproducts thereof.
(g) To enter into any mutually satisfactory contracts or agreements with any person, firm, institution, corporation, or business unit, as well as any state or federal agency, which the Department of Citrus deems wise, necessary, and expedient in the carrying out of any of the provisions of this chapter.
(h) To incur and pay such expenses and obligations as are necessary in connection with and required for the proper carrying out of the provisions of this chapter.
(3) There is hereby appropriated and made available for defraying the expenses of the administration of this section from the moneys derived from advertising excise taxes levied on citrus fruit such amounts as the Department of Citrus may deem necessary within the percentage limitations imposed by s. 601.15.
History.--s. 13, ch. 25149, 1949; s. 7, ch. 26492, 1951; s. 1, ch. 61-48; s. 1, ch. 63-80; s. 1, ch. 65-67; s. 22, ch. 71-186.