Section 624.307, Florida Statutes 2001
624.307 General powers; duties.--
(1) The department shall enforce the provisions of this code and shall execute the duties imposed upon it by this code.
(2) The department shall have the powers and authority expressly conferred upon it by, or reasonably implied from, the provisions of this code.
(3) The department may conduct such investigations of insurance matters, in addition to investigations expressly authorized, as it may deem proper to determine whether any person has violated any provision of this code or to secure information useful in the lawful administration of any such provision. The cost of such investigations shall be borne by the state.
(4) The department may collect, propose, publish, and disseminate information relating to the subject matter of any duties imposed upon it by law.
(5) The department shall have such additional powers and duties as may be provided by other laws of this state.
(6) The department may employ actuaries who shall be at-will employees and who shall serve at the pleasure of the Insurance Commissioner. Actuaries employed pursuant to this paragraph shall be members of the Society of Actuaries or the Casualty Actuarial Society and shall be exempt from the Career Service System established under chapter 110. The salaries of the actuaries employed pursuant to this paragraph by the department shall be set in accordance with s. 216.251(2)(a)5. and shall be set at levels which are commensurate with salary levels paid to actuaries by the insurance industry.
(7) The department shall, within existing resources, develop and implement an outreach program for the purpose of encouraging the entry of additional insurers into the Florida market.
History.--s. 22, ch. 59-205; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 20, 37, 809(1st), ch. 82-243; s. 5, ch. 86-160; ss. 187, 188, ch. 91-108; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 1, ch. 93-410.